Saturday, November 20, 2010

Family Ties and Tangles

Sometimes family history gets confusing. It hard enough keeping track of aunts, uncles, and cousins without trying to remember the names of all my ancestors, but I try anyway.

Once upon a time the Harwood family reunion was the highlight of the summer. Long before I was born my father's family gathered in the hills of Allegany county with cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. I can just imagine the fun it must have been if seventy years later those once children still recall it fondly.

My great great great grandfather George W. Harwood married Margaret Almira Bixby in September of 1852. Four months later, on January 1, 1853, George's brother, Rufus, married Margaret's sister, Hannah. If that wasn't confusing enough, in 1870 George and Rufus' father (also named Rufus) married Margaret and Hannah's mother, Fannie Betts Bixby.

George and Margaret Harwood had eleven children. I stared at the list trying to recall which was the next of my ancestors and found myself confused. Well, of course it was the daughter who was given the same name as her mother, Margaret Almira. No wonder I was stumped. Years ago large families were common and parents often named their children, both sons and daughters, after a parent or other family member.

A couple weeks ago I wrote about my great grandma (the granddaughter of George and Margaret Harwood) and yesterday found a curious email in my inbox. This is what it said, "I came across your Lookin’ Up blog and noticed we have a common ancestor, so I thought I would drop you a line." It turns out the writer's great, great grandmother was the sister of my great grandma. How cool is that?

12 comments:

  1. That is SO cool. :)

    I wonder what would happen if there were a "Harwood family" reunion these days?

    ReplyDelete

  2. HARWOOD, GEORGE W.
    Born in Angelica, May 13, 1831, of Rufus and Rachel Harwood; died in Angelica, Oct. 5, 1920. Married in
    1852 to Margaret Bixby and ten children were born to them. He served nearly a year in the War of the
    Rebellion. Survivors: widow; eight children, George R., Kansas; Mrs. Adeline Childs of Angelica; Palmer
    S., Calif.; Mrs. Matilda Warner, Angelica; Holman R., Washington; John J., Angelica; Mrs. Nellie R.
    Hull, Short Tract, and Samuel N., Colorado. Burial in Angelica.
    Lot 811.

    HARWOOD, Mrs. MARGARET BIXBY
    Margaret Almira Harwood was the daughter of Prof. Lewis and Fannie Bixby. Born in Rochester, September
    10, 1831; died in Angelica, Oct. 26, 1920. Married George W. Harwood in 1852. She taught school with her
    father and mother in the old School House where the Grand Theater now stands. Survivors: eight children,
    George R., Kansas; Mrs. Adeline Childs of Angelica; Palmer S., Calif.; Mrs. Matilda Warner, Angelica;
    Holman R., Washington; John J., Angelica; Mrs. Nellie R. Hull, Short Tract, and Samuel N., Colorado.
    Burial in Angelica. Lot 811.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matilda Warner was my great-great grandmother (Daughter Edith married Marion Schwartz, daughter Eleanor married Frank Emery, my grandparents.)

      Delete
    2. I am very pleased to meet you KJEmery! This genealogy of Harwoods with their Georges, Matildas, and Margarets continues to confuse me. LOL! And yet here we are today.

      Delete
  3. George W Harwood (1831 - 1920) is my 2nd great grand uncle
    Rufus Harwood (1790 - 1872) father of George W Harwood
    Rufus Holman Wilforth Harwood (1828 - 1905) son of Rufus Harwood
    Holman Rufus Harwood (1863 - 1940) son of Rufus Holman Wilforth Harwood
    Harry George Harwood (1892 - 1962) son of Holman Rufus Harwood
    Ardith Elaine "Ardy" Harwood (1925 - 2014) daughter of Harry George Harwood
    JeffreyLSalisbury@gmail.com - son of Ardy Harwood Salisbury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just too much fun!
      :0)

      Delete
    2. So glad to come across this
      I'm a decedent of Holman and Anna Harwood of Cadillac Michigan Westford county

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Hi, Bertha! So nice to meet you. Finding long lost cousins is always a special treat. Have you seen Jeff Salisbury's Facebook page for Harwood cousins?

      Delete
    5. Hi Martha no I haven't but I'm on my way to Facebook to see if I can become a member

      Delete
  4. Just wanted to add I'm a decedent of Holman and Anna Harwood of Cadillac Mi

    ReplyDelete