Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thursday...

I must admit that Thursdays have been feeling rather drab and mundane. This is simply because of all the excitement here on Wednesdays this fall. Bethany, Josh, and Molly the Dog have come over almost every Wednesday since sometime in September. We set up the kitchen to make pies and spend almost the whole day at the table cutting apples, stirring up fillings, mixing and rolling dough, assembling, and sometimes baking. We have been known to make about 18 pies in one day, but that is not all that is happening here on Wednesdays. There are also children; my small "3 flower garden," and typically a few little grandsons. Hannah runs off to help Leta clean my cousin's house leaving Bethany and I to monitor children and get the pies together. Then there is Benjamin who must be taken to his math class for an hour and a half in the middle of the day. (This is our little break from pie making.) Bethany takes Ben to his class while I attempt to get lunch on the table and listen for the school bus to return "Flowers 1 and 2." After lunch we read two stories and the little people go down for a nap. If I am lucky I get to grab some lunch before Bethany returns to resume pie making. Of course there are the usual interruptions from crying (or fighting) children, dogs who must go out, or the rare telephone call. By the time late afternoon rolls around we have often totally forgotten about supper, so there is a mad rush to solve that little dilemma also. We wrap up pies, pack the supplies back into boxes, clean up the kitchen, and pack everything back into Bethany's car. Once it is evening we are so tired that we just want to collapse, but Bethany has, on occasion, been known to make an appearance at a Wednesday night church service. So, by the time Thursday rolls around, all the excitement for the entire week has already been spent on Wednesday, leaving Thursday feeling rather,... well, boring.

6 comments:

  1. I think you can use some boring after all of the excitement of Wednesdays!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would be crawling in bed with the "flowers" and taking a nap!!

    Your pies look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Wednesdays sound like so much fun! Especially the part about forgetting to think about dinner...that is the story of my life. I shall come visit you some Thursday with my two little girls, and erase all the boringness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Della, that would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something about baking that is womanly and comforting and warm. I look forward to being in the kitchen next week with it being Thanksgiving week.

    ReplyDelete