Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Monday Nights

We are still heading out to the nursing home on Monday nights. I find that most Mondays I am feeling somewhat under the weather; tired, achy, generally blah and wanting to stay home. Most nights I go in spite of myself, find that I am actually feeling fine, and blessed for it besides. We have come to love the little band of people that come out to hear us sing and shake our hands.

This was my father's passion. When he was sick his biggest concern was for Mom and his nursing home services. He id four. Dad was a much better musician than any of us, a more accomplished speaker than James (he did it for 30 years...), and had developed a deep love for the people he served that we are only just beginning to understand.

We were missing a few of our regulars this week. Betty, whose hand I held as I talked with her last week, had a mini stroke and was in her room. Millie, Betty's best friend, was not feeling herself either. These folks don't always remember our names, but they are always glad to see a smiling face, be given a hug, and asked about their lives. They are thrilled and often surprised when we remember who they are.

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same way every other Monday when it's time for us to go to small group. I feel extremely exhausted and headachy, but go, only to be blessed by the fellowship we have with our close Christian friends. It's seems like Satan is trying to interfere with these very important things. I'm so glad to hear that you get a blessing out of your service at the retirement home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this is one of the things I love about you, Martha! I have also experienced feeling blah and headache-y when faced with going to different things which build up the spirit and build fellowship, and have also thought that Satan was at work. It is amazing how much blessing there is when you give of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The funny thing is I have felt "yucky" before Wednesday night services, and had a terrible time on Fridays during those years I served in Kid's Club. Look what happened to my hand during VBS!

    ReplyDelete