Friday, April 20, 2007

Signs of Spring

The time has come to start pumping the pond out of the back yard and into the drainage ditch. It will probably take all weekend with several trips out into the water to refill the tank and restart the pump. Soon we will once again have a backyard and the ducks and geese will move on to another more permanant pond to raise their families. Hannah actually found a goose egg out there yesterday but it was cold and alone and likely already dead. It would be fun to watch baby geese but with a dog and three cats the geese would be much better off up the road or back in the orchard.



The weather has been much more pleasant the past couple of days. We still have a cold wind here by the lake but the sun is shining and its actually enjoyable to go outside. I think spring may be here to stay! I hope so. My daffodils have decided that it is safe to bloom and the hyacinths and tulips can't be too far behind.

I have been feeling rather sluggish lately and am looking for something to do. Maybe this afternoon I'll get out my rake and start cleaning leaves out of the gardens.

12 comments:

  1. Why don't you leave the pond a pond? Just a thought....
    Our daffodils are not that far yet. We still have snow! But of course it is melting!! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't leave the pond a pond because it is really just a huge puddle. If we don't pump the water it will very soon be a stinking, stagnant mess. It is only 2-3 feet deep at its deepest spots and only and inch or so at others. It is already starting to kill the grass and get yucky on the edges. It also affects our neighbor's yard and makes the ground too soft for the farmer's tractors to turn around on when they spray the trees. And then there are the mosquitoes who would decide to move in. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you enjoying the sunshine? Today I'm hanging out my laundry... It's so nice and warm. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry that the pond is such a trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good bye for now Teal lake. So glad you are getting spring back. I want to see the chairs on the porch, please? I miss a porch with chairs. Bethany, that is a beautiful idea, I can just smell the laundry Snifff, Sniffff. Yep a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. martha, what is in the barns?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know when it is safe to bring Sherman over to play.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought Jazz didn't get along too well with Sherman, or maybe I'm wrong. ??
    The weather is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool that you are able to have a temporary pond. Enjoy all the warm weather...it's gorgeous outside here today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gmj, the red barns belong to our neighbor so I'm not sure what's inside. But, they do make for nice photographs. :)

    Beautiful weather today. We raked leaves and cleaned out the gardens.

    Hello, Vicki! It's good to know you're still out there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. blah blah blah. a comment on your blog. yay! I can't wait for my sunburn to dissapear so I can enjoy the sunshine again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! You have flowers. Those daffodils are very nice. I hope the pond pumping process goes smoothly. It will be nice for you to have your yard back.

    ReplyDelete