Monday, April 09, 2007

Dangerously Fun Playground Equipment



Not wanting to post any new snow photographs, I went searching for something unrelated to today's weather.


Remember the day when every playground had it's own unique set of climbing equipment? This giraffe climber was at Ellison Park and looks like lots of fun. Imagine riding on the back of a giraffe! The campground at Webster Park had an Indian Teepee and an old stagecoach. What a great place it must have been to play cowboys and Indians! There was also a firetruck which we all took a turn or two driving. I remember a train at one of the schools and a covered wagon somewhere out there too.

Where did they all go? I suppose they were long ago deemed dangerous and removed from playgrounds all across America. I'm sure there were several kids who managed to break bones falling off them but I didn't know any. I do vaguely recall getting the wind knocked out me a time or two. It taught me to be more careful and hold on tighter. Now I'm just curious where all these wonderful creations ended up.

8 comments:

  1. Hey I remember that red firetruck. That wasn't far from the swings where I saw the "pink skunk" that night. Lol!
    I don't remember the giraffe at Ellison Park though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummm, sounds like they ended up in some adults fond memories of childhood. :) The old fashion "educational toys", eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah the famous "got the wind knocked out of me" mmmmmm yup remember that well! it did teach you to be more careful........ for some...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People had so much more fun back then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That giraffe does look a bit dangerous. I think I would be a nervous Nellie if I took my kids to play on that. The other one looks safe enough.

    I actually don't remember any of these types of structures from my childhood. But I remember I liked the metal dome that was made completely out of triangles? you know what I mean? I was a good climber on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I remember tose climbers too, but my favorites are still the ones that resembled something "grown-up". Scary but lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey!
    That's me on the firetruck! I know where they ended up....they ended up being what is called "scrap metal!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had an amazing old fashioned merry go round when I was a kid. I have never seen one like it since. It was a huge wooden ring, suspended from a center pole.

    ReplyDelete