Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Good Old Days

Wouldn't it be fun to be a kid again? I think I would like to go back in time and go down to Uncle Joe's farm again. Oh to be a little girl exploring the barn, watching the cows and smelling all those strange farm smells. I still don't mind the smell of cows, in fact there is someting nostalgic about it. I love an old hay mow. How fun to go up in the loft and hide in the hay or search for kittens born up there in the privacy of the barn. How about those chickens that come running when someone cries out, "Here, chick, chick!" as they scatter grain on the ground, or the ducks waddling across the yard? And then the corn on the cob boiling in a pot on the kitchen stove. We'd eat it with fresh butter and salt and pepper. Mmmmm... We could watch the tractors drive past down the road and wave to the farmer or even drive one ourselves. We could sing loud, silly songs mistakenly thinking that no one could hear. We could play in the woods, jumping the creek and climbing trees with no fear of strangers being out there, our imaginations running wild. Those of childhood must be the most vivid of all memories. I often wonder what it will be like in heaven. Will we be like children again?

4 comments:

  1. It all sounds good. I remember being a little nervous around the cows at uncle Joe's farm. They seemed like such big and foreign animals to me. I always did enjoy the visit down there though. How about searching for four leaf clovers in back of great grandma's house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember searching for 4 leaf clovers at her house. I just mentioned that to Sue Beck not too long ago. I remember going to Aunt Sharkey's once, but I don't remember too much about the visit. The only farm animals that I ever remember are the pigs that we used to see while on our walks with Uncle Chuck. He used to tell us how good they smelled while we were complaining about their stench. I can't imagine why dad would've wanted to ride one of those things! The country does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of my grandfather in heaven - DANCING! Something he hasn't been able to do in years. YUP! We'll be a lot like kids. :) Can you imagine the wonder we will experience in heaven?? And also the perfect TRUST we'll have in our Father?! Sounds good to me... Let's GO!!

    ReplyDelete