Friday, April 14, 2006

Are You Listening?

The other day I was reading Luke 8 and one particular verse jumped out at me. I have been pondering this verse for the past several days. It isn't difficult to understand, I think what amazes me is that it never struck me this way before. Jesus had just told the parable of the sower and the seed. You probably know the story; as the sower threw the seed, some fell by the wayside and was trampled down or devoured by birds, some fell on rock, grew up and then withered because of lack of water, some fell among thorns and the thorns spang up and choked it, and finally, some fell on good soil, sprang up and yielded a crop. Jesus explained the the seed was the word of God. Our hearts are the ground on which the seed fell. Those by the wayside but then the devil comes and steals the word out of their hearts lest they should believe and be saved. Those on the rock hear and believe for a time but when temptation comes they fall away. Those among thorns hear but when they go out are choked by the cares, riches and pleasures of this world. Those that fell on good ground keep the word with a noble and good heart, and bear fruit with patience. Then in verse 18 Jesus says, "Therefore take heed how you hear." I began to think about when I sit in church and listen to the message. Am I really paying attention? Am I looking and listening for what God is teaching me, or am I thinking about what we are having for lunch or who I need to talk to after service? Am I looking around at other people or cleaning my fingernails? Am I wondering what time it is? Am I falling asleep or wishing I had served in the nursery this morning? Am I disregarding what the Lord is speaking to me or am I taking heed how I hear?

1 comment: