Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Bigger the Better

I decided to add a link or two to my profile this morning and then checked out a few other people with large families. I find it fascinating that I am not the only "woman in the shoe" out there. I used to dream about large family get togethers but never quite had the gumption to get a group started. I'm not sure my poor husband would have known how to handle it. Anyway (there's that word again), as it is Thursday, I thought maybe today would be a great time to list 13 Things About Large Families.

1. Your kids will never have to sit alone in church even if Dad had to stay home and Mom is in the nursery. (All 7 of my kids sat together last night.)
2. Babysitters are not easy to find. People just don't know what to do if there are more than 3 kids in one family, besides it's hard to afford an outside sitter when they charge per child. If you wait until a few of your own are old enough (say 15 or 16) they can share the job of looking after the younger ones.
3. Large families need large vehicles, mostly to carry them back and forth to church and homeschooling field trips. They rarely go anywhere else. (I personally think this new carseat law is a vendetta against us.)
4. A large family can be very happy living in a house with only 3 bedrooms. You buy second hand bunk beds and if need be Mom and Dad can always sleep on a futon in the living room for a few years. (Been there, done that.)
5. There will be enough food to go around if you cook up plenty of rice, pasta, or potatoes, grow a huge vegetable garden, or own a grocery store. PS.- Kids only need one hot dog each.
6. Nobody really knows what belongs to who and mom can't remember either.
7. Everybody pitches in to help because otherwise Mom really would be crazy.
8. There is always someone to play with.
9. It is rarely quiet unless we are all sleeping.
10. There are always way too many shoes sitting by the door. (If I have 7 kids and they each have 2 pairs of shoes and 1 pair of boots, plus my own shoes and my husband's, and then there are a few unclaimed sets,... Well, you get the picture.)
11. You get to know the pediatrician on a first name basis (and the OB/GYN too). At least you aren't a total stranger...
12. People recognize you by, "you know, the people with all the kids."
13. There will always be plenty of family to come back home for the holidays (and hopefully they will bring all the food!)

Honestly, I loved having a large family. I am starting to miss having little people around but I am so glad that even my "grown up" kids still like to come home once in a while.

5 comments:

  1. Definitely large families are cool...but it was not meant to be with me.

    Lots of laughs about the "new" carseat law...I think we've had that law now for atleast 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant the car seat law that says they have to be in one until they're 8 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't have imagined Hannah being forced to sit in a car seat 2 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think large families are great, but I'm not so sure I could've handled it. Sometimes I feel so impatient with the two I have. I do wish I had more though. You have the nicest kids. I hope mine grow to be as nice. I pray for them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're not really making a carseat law saying kids have to be in them til they are eight yrs. old.

    ReplyDelete