Wednesday, October 30, 2013

P is for Pull

P is for Pull.

I noticed them loading the truck when we went out to the bus stop this morning. It's a big truck, one with a flatbed trailer and eighteen wheels. They strap a bazillion crates of apples on and haul them out of the orchard either into storage or down to Mott's where they're turned into juice and applesauce.

The girls got on the bus and I returned to the house and my computer. Outside the front window I heard the low roar of machinery; tractors, trucks... but was barely paying attention. It's one of those sounds, like the apple sprayers in summer, that I've become accustomed to. Background noise, stuff that could almost lull me to sleep.

I'm not sure what made me get up and look out the window, probably the fact that one of the engines was either running a little longer or revving higher than normal, but I looked just in time to see the Peterbuilt spinning its tires in the soft mud of the lot across the street.

Being the naughty girl that I am, I grabbed my camera, popped the card back in (I'd taken it out to look at last night's party pictures...) and turned out the computer room light to record the excitement.

The tractor spun its tires in the road as it worked to pull the truck and its load of apples out of the mud. (Yes, there is an orchard road but the rig needs to make a wider turn.)

In no time at all, the big rig had its tires on solid ground and was able to move under its own power. Good thing I was quick! It took all of two minutes and maybe not even that. Tractors make even big problems small.

For more ABC Wednesday fun, click here.

8 comments:

  1. Even the big rigs need help from time to time. How wonderful you live that close to the apple orchards.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in the orchards can be very interesting sometimes. We're pretty much surrounded by apple trees. :)

      Delete
  2. Action shots! Love the collection that documents that even big trucks need a bit of help from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calling by as another ABC Wednesday participant, great entry, what a lot of apples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice and convenient that they gave you your P word and theme for the day
    Love the story of the trucks.
    We eat a lot of Motts products...ym

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was PULLING for the truck's liberation!

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it fun when something happens right under your nose, and you have your camera handy. Love this play by play post.!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it would be fun to have an orchard just outside your windows!

    Reminds me of little tug boats pulling big ships!

    ReplyDelete