Monday, October 07, 2013

Conclusional

I have come to two entirely separate conclusions. One is that I have absolutely no idea what to do if an emergency situation arises involving my mother. After getting out of bed and dressed this morning, including shoes and socks, she sat down at her table to look at her word search book (This has become a bit of an obsession.) but was apparently worn out from getting up. She sat on her chair with her head down resting on her arm as if she were asleep.
Since it was already mid- morning and she needed to go out for some blood work, I fixed her a bowl of cereal and took it to her along with her morning meds. When I checked in on her later, she had eaten the cereal but her pills remained in the little cup next to her. Since she hadn't put in her hearing aides, I tapped her arm and motioned to her with the pill cup. Her arm moved as though it was made of lead and she couldn't shake the pills from the cup into her mouth. Finally she gave up and put her head back down on the table. There were Cheerios scattered on the table as though she had missed getting them into her mouth. I literally didn't know what to do. For a time I wondered if she was having a stroke or something. Should I call an ambulance? I decided to get her over to the lab and perhaps someone there could help me decide if she needed more help. Upon setting up her a portable oxygen tank, I came to the realization that Mom wasn't wearing her in-home oxygen canula at all. The tube was draped across her lap, along with her pajama top, and had probably been there for twenty minutes or so. (At this point I was glad I hadn't call 911...) All of that to say I feel totally incompetent when it comes to medical emergencies.

My second conclusion has nothing to do with my mother and everything to do with a small girl who frequents my house four days a week. She is a beautiful child with big blue eyes and a ready smile. She is old enough to hold a conversation and smart enough to do so. She knows what she wants and has a pretty good idea how to get it. She is precocious and probably ready for some more structured activities. I could have a lot of fun and teach her all kinds of things her if I actually put my mind to it. She could probably keep me well entertained and provide me with plenty of writing material, if only I would stop and pay a little more attention, after all, Beverly Cleary clearly got her ideas for Ramona from someone and I have a real live "Ramona Quimby, Age 3" right in front of me all day long.

12 comments:

  1. Glad you finally figured out the oxygen! :)

    That little girl is beautiful and what a great shot of her. I say enjoy her to the fullest....and if that means picking something more constructive to do just a few minutes a day, then go for it. Or at least journal some of her wisdom for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, oxygen is a must! And now she is on iron too because she lost so much blood with her nose ordeal. :P

      She is a very beautiful child and full of childish wisdom. I shall make every attempt to capture some of it for you.

      Delete
  2. I guess you are one of those "sandwich" generation...
    Older parents and still children...all that require most of your time and attention...
    I think your Mom is lucky to have you taking care of her Martha...the other alternatives are certainly not pleasant...
    That little girl is darling...you will do the right thing...
    I am sure of that..
    Because.......you are you!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a piece of cheese or something. ;)
      At times I wonder if someone could do a better job of taking care of Mom, but I know that people working in nursing homes are human too. We'll get through this somehow. The doctor has put her on an iron supplement which we hope will have her feeling better soon.
      My little one there... she is a treasure. I just need to keep a notebook and sense of humor handy.

      Delete
  3. I find taking care of my mom scary too, though she does not live with me. I often don't know what to do and I have to make decisions that I don't feel qualified to make. hugs.

    I had to call 911 many times for my dad when he was alive. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fatcat, it is definitely a scary place to be sometimes. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Caregiving is a monumental task, whether it's a mother, a brother and an aunt (most recently). When to call 911 is always a huge decision. I think your mother is so fortunate to have you Martha. My sister and I took turns with my mom for a year and nine months. I reliving some of that with your stories.
    I think you are wonderful and love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha, Your mother is so lucky to have you caring for her. It is a monumental task that we are never 'ready' to handle. I seriously doubt that anyone else could provide thoughtful, considerate care as you are doing. Due to distance, I was unable to do the same for my mother except for only a couple of hours a while ago.

    On a helpful note, have you considered getting CPR and First Aid training? A number of volunteer groups (fire departments, etc) offer certification and re-certification classes for free all times of the year. I was previously required to have it by my employer, but also as a Girl Scout and later Girl Scout Leader had a chance to receive the training. They continually change the 'practices', most recently with training on the AED's (automatic defibirilators) and the also include infant and child CPR/first aid.

    It is a few hours with practical (hands on) training that can better prepare you for any emergency. The first lesson is to 'evaluate the situation' and "take control" which may include instructing someone else to call 911. Maybe something to think about.
    Love, Ondra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ondra, my daughter asked me the same question just the other day. Before that I hadn't given it any thought. Whether or not I ever need it for my mother, it would be a good thing to know, especially since I often have a small child in my care. My neighbor is on the local ambulance crew. Maybe I will ask her about it.

      I am so glad we went to have a geriatric evaluation done. Just being able to put a finger on a possible cause of Mom's problems is incredibly freeing. Although we haven't really solved any problems, aside from the bleeding nose, my heart feels softer. Even that is a relief.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for taking care of Mom.

    As for the little girl, you.must get out that old stack of archway books. I'm assuming you must have all the ones from out childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have no clue where all those Archway books went to.

      Delete