Monday, April 23, 2012

The Snowy Day

A nor'easter blew in last night bringing the dreaded white stuff to upstate New York. Snow on fruit tree blossoms is an apple farmer's nightmare and many orchards found themselves wrapped in a cold white blanket. The weather is fickle this year, more fickle than most. Friday we saw temperatures in the upper 70's. The warm air and sunshine teased the apple blossoms into full bloom, a deception not so unlike the Spider and the Fly. "Come into my parlor," said the spider to the fly, "Tis the prettiest little parlor that you ever did spy..." Only time will tell whether there will be an apple crop come September. I know there was no fly by the end of the poem.

Last night I lay in bed listening to the wind blow. It came in waves and sounded very much like perhaps we were staying in a seaside cottage with the ocean surf pounding on the shore. Here by the lake shore, we didn't get any snow, just a cold wintery rain. We enjoyed another fire in the wood stove and Hannah, along with two friends, mixed up a batch of peanut butter cookies which made the house smell yummy.

My back is feeling better today. Each time I find myself beginning to tense up, I remember to take a deep breath and give my anxieties back to the Lord. He handles them ever so much better than I do.

4 comments:

  1. I wondered if you got snow! Your photos are especially lovely. Glad your back and neck are better today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like everyone had snow but us. Now if only it would get warm enough for the bees to fly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We woke up to snow! Davin went on the bus with winter coat, hat and mittens:-) We were just wearing shorts a couple of days earlier. Crazy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha, so glad you are feeling better.

    I do remember that spider and fly story. Let's hope you have apples, as I can't imagine you without apple pies to back.

    ReplyDelete