Wednesday, April 25, 2012

O is for Oreo

"Cause a kid'll eat the middle of an Oreo first, and save the chocolate cookie outside for last."

O is for Oreo. The Oreo Cookie is celebrating its 100th birthday this year and that makes it a perfect candidate for the letter O!

Oreo has come a long way since its humble beginning in 1912. Or maybe it was not such a humble beginning... Oreo cookies, once known as the "Oreo Biscuit", were originally sold as an imitation of the Hydrox cookie which was made by Sunshine. (Sunshine made those yummy Vienna Fingers I loved so much too.) And here I always assumed Sunshine was the copycat.


When I was a kid (a mere 40 years ago), Oreo came in just one flavor, though I do remember the introduction of Double Stuf. Since then there have been all kinds of fun flavors and colors starting with the introduction of Double Stuf in 1975. We have been known to purchase Cool Mint Oreos, and on occasion the Golden variety. I really liked the Birthday Cake Oreos that came out in time for the 100th birthday celebration, and I will be on the lookout for more new flavors because I rather enjoyed the Berry Burst Ice Cream flavor too.

So Happy 100th Birthday to Oreo Cream Sandwich Cookies! 
Thanks for being part of our childhood and thanks for your participation in ABC Wednesday!!!

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

Haha! I found the Oreo song!!!


12 comments:

  1. Oreos - my downfall!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. My MIL worked and retired from Sunshine Biscuit Co. here in Kansas City for 40 years. She would bring us Oreos quite a bit when my kids were little, its one of their favorite cookies too.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you're making me crave them! I don't buy them because I know I'll just sit and stuff myself silly and be very very sorry the next day! But great idea for our O week! I didn't know they'd been around for 100 years. Have an outstanding week,

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Oreo Blizzard at Mac Donalds.

    Thanks for the History, and I've never seen the Strawberry ice cream filled. That new for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't typically buy Oreos, but the birthday celebration has me overcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the Hydrox cookies. For some reason we liked them better. Can't remember why now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm do love those Oreos. Great O. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello.
    As a self-confessed chocoholic, I cannot resist these. I don't have them often because if you put a pack of them in front of me, I'll devour it all. Now you've got me craving them (smile). Thanks for the treat.

    Open The Curtains Of Your Heart

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oreos, yum! A few years back I bought at least a dozen packages at BigLots in the springtime for a buck a package...they were special edition Halloween cookies. They had orange filling and pumpkins stamped on the cookie part, but they tasted like regular old Oreos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am pretty sure the middles taste better now than they did when we were kids. Back then I preferred Hydrox.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HA! I always thought Sunshine was the copycat too! Blame it on great marketing. When it comes to Oreos, I'm a purist. Give me the originals any day...every day! :-) Great post for O-day.

    ReplyDelete