Tuesday, April 10, 2012

M is for Marbles

M is for Marbles. I'm sure I've lost a few through the years. I know this because I occasionally find them underneath and behind the furniture.

When we were kids we had a wonderful collection of marbles; swirls, solids, and even some clear ones. I have no idea where they came from, but we would sit and divide them up, picking our favorites one at a time from the pile between us. Then we would spend what seemed like hours rolling them across the carpet in our own version of the game, Marbles. If we were a good shot (or if we were lucky enough to be shooting at a carpet covered in them), we would hit one or several of either our own or our opponent's marbles and get to take them back to our own stock pile to shoot again and again.

Our marble collection disappeared one day. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I think it may have met a similar fate as our Game of Life. The Life game met it's demise when we argued over who would put it away and Mom decided she would. Whatever the case, I'll always miss those marbles. They were a whole lot prettier than the collection I have today. (And you thought I'd lost them all!)

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

9 comments:

  1. Amazingly I found half a dozen of my marbles under the floor of my parents' house (they'd gone down a knot hole in the floor - probably intentionally, aiming across the floor for the hole). They are now among my treasured possessions! Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've lost a few marbles myself...sometimes, i forget where i put them.:p

    ReplyDelete
  3. people think I've lost my marbles a long time ago
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back nice childhood memories when I played marbles with my friends and came home with a big bag, lol !
    Gattina
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've joined that club too, I think I have lost my marbles.
    Sounds like your Mom was the decision maker for those marbles.
    (:0)
    Think I did that with my boys a few times too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's something fascinating about a collection of marbles. Some of them are so pretty and some are so ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always liked collecting them - the colors were so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Allen has a large collection of marbles. I can't remember where they came from. I don't think they are the same ones we had as kids.

    ReplyDelete