Friday, April 06, 2012

Marbles and the Possibility of Losing Them

High on a shelf in my computer room lives a candle jar full of marbles. It does not come down to play very often and this for a couple of reasons. One is I am not a big fan of broken glass (in this case a candle jar...), and the other is that marbles roll across the floor into out of reach corners and tend to be very bad for unsuspecting vacuum cleaners. In spite of the reasons, I brought out the jar of marbles. Why? Well, because marbles are so much fun, of course!

A week or so ago I picked up two fresh clean swimming pool noodles. (I had to hide them because children so quickly find them wonderful for whacking things and each other with, but that is another story.) Yesterday both the noodles and the marbles came out to play. The noodles make wonderfully fun marble chutes, though I do wish they were a might longer and a bit more flexible. It's also a good idea to remove any "large" marbles from the collection as they are a little tough to get out once they are stuck an inch or two inside the noodle.

Although I laid carpet tubes across the floor in front of my couches, several marbles succeeded in breaching the the barrier anyway. Of course, this was made worse by Alex who decided to dump a cup of them under the couch.

I made a point to remember lost marbles can be seen as "jewels" and not a nuisance. I will smile as I collect them one by one over the next week or so, viewing them as little"blessings". If nothing else they are a reminder that my life is full of simple everyday gifts that I often take for granted.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that does look like fun! I bet that entertained them for a nice long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did, and nobody thought the marbles should be eaten either, just dumped from cup to cup and under the couch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always had marbles when I was growing up. Used them for shooting marbles sometimes, but more often to play Wahoo (Aggravation) or Chinese checkers.
    When our kids were little, Benny built an elaborate marble track along the side of the stairs to the basement. Hours of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids have built their own marble chute too. David once had a rather elaborate setup put together in his bedroom. Those were the days... No wonder he liked Lucas' birthday present so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making so many great memories with the kids. That looks like such fun!!

    ReplyDelete