Monday, April 16, 2012

The Backpack

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

The load is heavy. I can tell by the pain that runs through my shoulders and down my neck and back. It's a traveling pain, settling in slightly different locations each day as I shift the burden from one side to the other. I know I should lighten the pack, but the funny thing is I'm not quite certain how to loosen the straps...

James made me an appointment with the chiropractor this afternoon. Probably the best part of the visit was when we talked about the pain being tension related and he offered to pray with me. I don't suppose most people get that out of a visit to the guy who is supposed to snap your neck, crack your bones, and put everything back in place. I wish I could say the tension miraculously melted away when the assistant hooked me up to the heat and stims, but I'm still hurting, probably because the problem is not really in my bones and muscles, but in my heart.

I am full of pain; the pain of unspoken disappointments, feelings of inadequacy, and probably a bit of anger. Those are the things I bury deep inside as I go about my life. They are the uglies, the feelings and issues I either don't know how to or don't want to deal with. "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things." Thankfully, I have Someone who loves me, Someone who cares enough to give me a chiropractor who prays, and Someone who can loosen the straps of that heavy pack and help me unload the contents.

4 comments:

  1. Martha, you may have many burdens and pains, but you have a marvelous way with words, and how you can share your heart and deepest feelings.

    Keeping you in my heart and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, too. I am sorry for the heavy burdens your heart carries:-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I'm sorry. I hope the treatments and the prayers will help!

    I've always wondered if my neck pain is tension related.

    Praying for you...for peace and calm and rest...and less pain!

    ReplyDelete