Thursday, October 05, 2006

Red or Yellow?


Last Saturday I went to one of the farm stands and bought a bushel of apples. I like this particular stand because I can mix and match different kinds of apples to fill up the box. This time I bought 20 ounce, macintosh, macoun, and empires. The problem is that once I get them home I have a tough time distinguishing anything but the 20 ounce apples. Maybe next time I'll bring a divider to put in the middle if the box.

Of course not all apples look the same and there are some that I can manage to tell apart quite easily. Sunday James and I walked past a bunch of Red Delicious and Golden Delicious trees. Red Delicious are easy to tell because of their dark red color and unique shape. Golden Delicious taste much better than Red (in my opinion). Most of the time I walk past trees laden with apples and have no clue what kind they are or what they are good for; eating fresh, baking, sauce,...

I haven't had much time this week for baking but I love to make homemade apple sauce and eat it hot, bake fresh pies, apple kuchen, or cobbler, or just sit down and relax with a sweet, fresh juicy apple. Or even munch one while taking a stroll on a crisp autumn day.

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of when I worked at Burnaps. I learned how to tell so many different kinds of apples apart! Now I'm not as good at it as I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE apples! I made an apple cake for our small group the other day and brought it when it was still warm, with a gallon of vanilla ice cream. It was so yummy! I should give you guys the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No eating after 7pm.

    ReplyDelete