Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A Late Afternoon Walk



Ben, Hannah and I actually did get to go for our walk this afternoon. We walked farther than we have any other day and all had tired legs and feet by the time we got home an hour later. We walked out of one orchard and into the next where a man in a truck drove by, stopped, and asked us what we were doing (walking) and if we had a leash for the dog (no). I guess he was concerned about his pickers but I assured him the dog was used to seeing guys out in the orchard. She never pays much attention to them, just sniffs and walks on by.
I like to have her with us because I know she would protect us if the need arose and besides she loves to walk too.

We took the camera along again today as the leaves are starting to change and it is so pretty. There are still apples out there, but the orchards are very much quieter than other years. Not near as many pickers, I guess. I've heard the immigration laws have made workers scarce in the orchards this year. Too soon the season will be over and the orchards will be ever so quiet. Then we'll sit in the house by the fire, sip hot apple cider, and wait until spring when the blossoms reappear.

9 comments:

  1. Beware of creepy guys in trucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha - you do live in beautiful surroundings don't you. I am constantly amazed.

    You seem to be doing a lot of walking. Hoa lovely - I enjoy a good walk myself...but it's mainly concrete where I live - no where near as picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun... too bad today it is raining or you could take another lovely walk... maybe with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made it there yet to walk. I wich I lived a little closer. That would help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, if you ever go to walk at Aunt Martha Make sure to take me with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely walk. Such beautiful surroundings. You are truely blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *Sniff*

    HEY!!! Howcome your word verification is off??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rach, this guy wasn't creepy. He probably manages the orchard back there. He just didn't recognize us. Guess I don't blame him much for wanting to know who's back there walking through his fruit trees.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe, I just thought I'd go without that little hassle for a while.

    ReplyDelete