Wednesday, July 24, 2019

You Silly Goose!

It's time to settle down and go to sleep, but I must tell you about my silly goose encounter first...

I was off to a late start yesterday morning. Goofed around a little too much before heading out the door and didn't leave myself much margin for error. All was going well and I was making good time until I was about halfway up Plank Rd.

It was an unusual sight. A gathering of geese in the middle of the road. I've seen groups of geese crossing the road, but this was not a crossing. Oh no. These geese were walking straight down the middle of the road, going the same direction as me. I beeped the horn but it didn't faze them in the least. That's when I heard myself say, "You've got to be kidding me!" but I was smiling too because it was so ridiculous.

I wasn't sure what to do because they were in both lanes and onto the shoulder of the road on my side. Then I remembered my camera. (See, Tom. Sometimes I actually take it along. Just in case a flock of geese is blocking the road.) I wondered how long I was going to be stuck behind this slowly waddling crew who obviously couldn't care any less about whether or not I got to work on time.

In the distance a vehicle was approaching from the opposite direction. The geese could see him coming, and as luck would have it, there was just enough room on the shoulder of the west bound lane for him to sneak by on the side. His passing convinced the crowd to abandon that side of the road completely and totally invade mine, which made it possible for me to pass in the other lane.

Crazy, crazy creatures!

4 comments:

  1. ...they are some of God's dumbest creations! I was in Geneseo by the Wegmans and a bunch of them took their own sweet time waddling across the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had there been no traffic coming the other direction, I would have had to get out of my car and shoo them out of the way. Yup. Certainly not the brightest of birds.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They were in no hurry at all! Ha ha!
      :0)

      Delete