Sunday, July 07, 2019

The Barn Collective

 I should probably save a couple pictures for next Sunday, but I'd probably forget all about them, so here they are today instead; two barns from my ride through the Wayne County countryside with my sister last week.

I love "naked" barns, and I love the old doors on this one. It's just an old carriage house behind a residence in the village of Newark, NY, but it caught my eye. I imagine a horse or two once lived inside, as well as the carriage, and there must have been a bit of hay stored up there in the top for a mother cat and her kittens to hide in. And maybe a kid or two.

The old hardware on the outside is pretty incredible. Looks like one door rolls along the outside and the other on the inside. The stick collection between the doors is a bonus too. Probably left by a few adventurous youngsters who went into the house in search of milk and cookies.. 

You know, I love old red barns as much as the naked ones. We took a slightly different route home last week and found this treasure. I'm sure in days gone by there would have been a bit of action in and around the barn, but last Sunday all was quiet and still. Too still.

I'm guessing an old tractor or two live in the smaller barn, and I love the dirt driveway. It conjures up the desire to take a walk through the field and back to the woods. It's hard to believe there aren't a few hootin' and hollerin' boys running about back there, a dog bouncing along at their heels...

Yup. The farms are much too quiet these days. Pop in over to Tom's place with me. Maybe he's got a pitcher of lemonade in the icebox.

6 comments:

  1. Oh- I just love old barns. It is so sad to see so many barns here fall into disuse as the small farms give way to the mega farms around them. Kind of heartbreaking really. Have a blessed Sunday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heartbreaking, yes. But then again, just the sight of them brings back so many wonderful memories...
      Be blessed as well.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. ...Martha, from one extreme to another, they both have charm. Thanks for stopping by, I hope that you drive the backroads again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. Maybe I'll go for a drive on my own one of these lonely Sunday afternoons.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Delightful...
    I love that magical Yesteryear look. I agree, the doors are wonderful.
    I need to go Barn snooping again. So many around here are in places I can't stop the car to photograph...so frustrating !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pass many barns that I never catch a photograph of. (Bad grammar there...) But what I really want is to visit a small working farm like Uncle Joe had back when I was a little girl...
      :0)

      Delete