Thursday, January 24, 2019

Where am I?

I don't know whose life I am living, but this certainly isn't what I imagined myself doing in my mid fifties. It's possible I may never get used to working 8 hours a day five days a week every week of the year. It seems a strange existence even if I am doing what comes natural, and I am thankful that it does, but it still isn't what I had envisioned...

Last night, after a painful week and much frustration, I made a visit to the chiropractor. I am rarely totally free of pain in my lower back, but today it was noticeably better. I was relieved not to have any restaurant sized cans to wrestle this week, but we do have a new baby in our infant room. He is not quite 11 months old and weighs about 30 pounds. I'm not joking. Lugging him about is an injury waiting to happen, and he's just a baby.


After my chiropractor appointment I went to the pottery studio. I'd desperately wanted to go over the weekend, but the weather did not cooperate with my intentions. I found my little trinket box on the glaze shelf. (I took the picture with the bottom turned around backward.) A music box was waiting on the bisque shelf, and another was patiently waiting to be cut open and finished. And of course, I worked on assembling another box as well. Maybe this weekend, if I acquire some fresh clay, I will take a turn or two on the wheel again.

This evening I got out of work 15 minutes early, filled my gas tank, and came home. My people were here, I washed the dishes, and made a batch of banana bread for my little grandson to enjoy. It was a good night.

13 comments:

  1. ...11 months old and 30 lbs doesn't sound healthy for anyone involved,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a rather heavy baby. I pray that you are able to get to the studio this weekend. I believe we are in for some snow and then some very cold temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a very heavy baby! I am hoping to spend some time at the studio on Saturday, even if it is cold and snowy.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. That is a big baby...be careful toatting him on your hip.
    Did anyone get the life they desired? I'm so glad you have an avenue to express your heart with your pottery skills. You do lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't even think of toting this "little" guy on my hip. I'm brainstorming ideas how to keep from needing to lift him.

      "Did anyone get the life they desired?" I don't know, but I do know I was willing to make the best of what I thought I had. I did everything I knew to do... I am grateful for the opportunity to do pottery too. Thank you. The figures I shape are my favorites and always have been.

      Delete
  4. Hi Martha....
    Your pottery in inspiring...
    Stress will settle in your back as well😕
    Hope you find happiness...

    Linda💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda, stress will do that. I've always known the pain between my shoulder blades was stress, but hadn't thought of the lower back pain as being stress related...
      I will find it. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. WOW! That is one big baby! His parents can't be accused of starving that boy! lol
    My life is not what I thought it would be either-but it is what it is and I am glad to be as healthy as I am (not perfect health) but pretty good.
    Have a good weekend, Martha! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely not starving! I am purposing to remember that he is just a little guy on the inside.
      I guess maybe life never turns out like we expect it to.
      I'm thinking pottery studio tomorrow afternoon.
      :0)

      Delete
  6. I don't know you IRL, Martha, but I enjoy your blog. My dad is an alcoholic (with a 34-year AA chip!) so I recognize some of your issues.
    I'm retired and thought I'd be traveling, enjoying my grandkids, substitute teaching, having fun with friends and family...I am doing some of that, but I'm also getting chemo every other weeks, having a minor surgery every six months, CT scans every 3 months....and still there are days I don't believe I have cancer. Life is not predictable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T Shimel,I am sorry for your pain. Life is totally unpredictable. I know I am not alone in finding this out, and I realize I have much for which to be thankful. I must remember to take one day at a time, breathe in the beauty, and thank the Lord for all His blessings.
      Congratulations on the 34-year chip! That is quite an accomplishment.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I didn't mean to sound sad or needy, and my cancer journey has been remarkably limited in terms of pain or nasty side effects. :) my comment was more of a commiseration...how DO we end up where we are? I have MUCH for which I'm thankful!

      Delete