Saturday, January 12, 2019

No Pain, No Gain

I had an appointment with the counselor this morning. I've found myself teary the past few times and today was no exception. Digging deep is painful, but pain brings awareness, and awareness births change. Before I left he asked me what I was going to do today. I told him I didn't know...

While thoughts swirled I ran a couple errands. Bank. Target. I left the shopping center and headed toward the city of Rochester. Pottery Studio. I found my little gymnast box on the bisque shelf and rolled slabs for future boxes. I molded a couple of figures, wrapped them in wet paper towels, put them away and headed out, thoughts still swirling...

On the way to the car I called my friend Laura. (Even calling people stresses me out. It didn't used to, but it does now. She was getting ready to leave home for her grandson's birthday party, but not too busy to chat for a few minutes. When we hung up I called another friend and was surprised by her sudden appearance on the other end of the line.

Angel and I have been friends almost ever since I can remember. We don't catch up often, but today we did. After a little while on the phone, she suggested getting together for coffee, so I left the city and headed back toward home. I stopped at her house on the way and I think we were both blessed to reconnect. There is something incredibly special about old friends. It was an exercise in change. A step toward healing.

Tonight I shared a bag of popcorn with Idris (Number Nine). We ate the whole bag together, and then we watched a few storybook videos on my laptop while he ate apples slices and mandarin orange sections. His mommy was there too, and then his daddy came home. We enjoyed the time together and tonight I am blessed.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the day that you needed. I am sorry that the sessions are so painful, but with them I am sure comes healing and it sounds as though you need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've left counseling other times wondering if I'd made any advances, but tears always mean we've touched on something that needs healing be it relationships, my own emotions, or childhood pains. This was a good session. Yes, it was what I needed right now.

      Delete
  2. Martha, I am so glad you are connecting and re-connecting with life around you. Old friendships are the best I think--no explanations necessary...you are just who you are.

    I am praying for a healing of your soul as you work through things with a counselor. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old friendships are like gold. new friendships are great, but there is nothing like an old one. We know each other in ways that no one else can ever completely understand.

      Thank you for your prayers, Diana.

      Delete