Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Progress...

I've spent some time this past week mulling over an "assignment" from last week's Tuesday morning Bible study. After talking about how God had changed the names of some of his followers (like Simon to Peter and Saul to Paul...) we were asked to come up with a new name that God might give us. It was really a thinking question more than anything, so I opted to give it some time and wait for an answer.

Yesterday I took a short walk around Barnes and Nobel. I was feeling a little "off" and thought I'd look for a book my friend Brenda mentioned several weeks back. I knew the author, but the title I couldn't recall. I stood looking at the books on the shelf and although I knew then which book she'd spoken of, I decided to buy two; "Unglued" (because I was feeling that way) and "The Best Yes" both by Lysa TerKeurst.


Last night I read the first chapter of Unglued (because I was still feeling that way) and the emphasis of first chapter was on making gradual change in our lives, slow progress. "Progess..." Could that be my new name? I had tossed around Joy and Hope, but Progress was something new and different, or at least I thought it was... As I perused old blogs last night, something I do on rare occasions, I came across this one and there in my own comments was my answer. "Am I making progress?" I think I am, even if the progress is slow. But then that was exactly what the author of the book had spoken of, slow progress. Not an overnight change, because that rarely means a lasting difference, but a slow and steady change in my behavior and reactions.

Yeah, something to think about, something to practice, and something to model for my daughters. I think I can do this.

2 comments:

  1. Such great thoughts and both of those books look like good reads. I thought for sure you were going to say Martha would change to Mary.... haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. I never even thought of changing it to Mary.
      :0)

      Delete