Sunday, February 05, 2012

Weight a Minute!

My mom has managed to lose another 3 pounds since her last doctor appointment. I can't seem to get the weight off, and she can't keep it on. Something about this just isn't right. Something must be done, and it looks like it's up to me to do it... for both of us.

Because she rises at different times each day, I have left it to Mom to find her own breakfast. It seemed simple enough to me, but she typically doesn't eat breakfast, even cereal, until about noon, just as I am getting lunch for the kids. This throws off giving her lunch and so she typically grabs a yogurt halfway through the afternoon, usually when I am taking a break and Alex is resting. Mom eats whatever we are having for supper, but salad is her favorite and if she is to have seconds, she will go for the salad before another helping of mashed potatoes.

This afternoon I cooked up a batch of gluten-free pumpkin muffins, and I plan to make her eggs at least a few times each week. (She will eat what we put in front of her and she isn't picky.) On the morning when I may be out, I'm hoping to leave her a hearty muffin, a fresh banana, and maybe a big glass of fruit juice. If I can get her to eat a good breakfast at a decent time, then maybe she will get a good lunch in too.

She rarely turns down ice cream or a cookie, just the things I would prefer to keep out of my line of vision. I'll let her eat mine.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good,
    You gonna make me my breakfast too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a real problem. I totally understand the frustration. I found a protein drink that Papa likes. has 20 gm of protein, about 200 cal. good vit. content also. Muscle Milk. I get it at Costco. Can you make your own granola bars.. or teeth a problem too? is here.
    Sweety, it's okay to set a schedule for all that live in your house. Write it on a white board, you'd be surprised how quickly they learn to check the board to see what's to be done. :)

    mucho hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly why we take all three meals to Aunt Trula. She would eat popcorn, nuts, and ice cream left to herself.

    Her problem is she has gained 6 pounds since we started taking care of her...She wasn't use to three full meals a day.

    We do eggs three mornings, and we do a lot of oatmeal and yogurt too.

    I had a piece of Jon's Marble Birthday cake...yummm~! Best taste of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yogurt and salad...that does sound like a diet! ha.

    Your muffins look wonderfuL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those eggs were yummy (and the muffins are wonderful).

    ReplyDelete