Thursday, August 11, 2011

Evening Blues

My little guys were here to visit this afternoon. As I was snuggling my newest baby on the back porch, Lucas picked up Jasmine's empty water dish and started off with it.

Hey," I said, "Where are you going with that dog dish?" as he stepped off the back porch.

"I'm gonna pick some blueberries," he replied. Of course, I knew he wouldn't forget the blueberry patch. I'm just glad there are still berries down there to be picked.

I put the baby down, found some berry boxes, and we headed down to pick a few berries.(We left the dog dish on the back porch.) Simon decided to accompany us, as well as Leta. The boys munched on their pickings, or dumped them in the long grass... and Leta took home a nice sized bag of berries as well.

This evening I made a return to the berry patch and picked some more late summer fruits. The sun cast long beams of light and shadows across the lawn, turning the grass to gold and lighting up the tender leaves of the berry bushes. The air was cool enough to warrant long sleeves (though mine were short), making it feel just a little bit like fall. Although some of the bushes are barren, others are heavy laden and more than willing to be relieved of their burden.

Aside from this afternoon, I hadn't been down to pick blueberries for a week or more. Tonight, rather than a plastic Tupperware bowl, I picked a basketful of berries, a pretty basketful, and took my camera too, of course, to record the moment... I can almost smell those blueberry muffins baking.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Looks like a magazine shoot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Betsy. It was a gorgeous evening. That helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using the dog's bowl for a basket! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I like Heather's comment? He is so cute! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Martha.....what delicious pictures....I want to such jump in the computer and pick a few!

    ReplyDelete