Thursday, August 04, 2011

The Blueberry Blues

I've not spent many hot afternoons in the berry patch this year, instead I've taken to picking blueberries in the cool of the evening. The real reason is that it was un- bearably hot when the berries first ripened and standing out in the sun midday would have been nothing short of insane, not to mention terribly uncomfortable. I was half tempted to leave the entire patch to the birds, but since I hate to let good food go to waste, I couldn't let that happen and therefore took to going out after supper when it was a little bit cooler.

In years past we have set a small table out by the road in front of our house, put out a sign, and sold blue- berries. A coffee can with a slotted lid and a rock inside (to keep it from blowing off the table), and the honor system, worked well. Whatever went into the can was my summer spending money. The berries that didn't sell got put into bags and deposited into the basement chest freezer for winter pies and desserts, or just to pull out and eat frozen.

Most years friends, or my sisters, have come to pick, but so far this year only my neighbor has been over. I saw him out there this morning filling his bucket. Perhaps I'll find another friend looking to fill a basket or two. I know there's no way I am going to pick them all, besides I'm going to take another trip up to Canada this weekend so it will be Monday before I go back out there. I doubt my kids will be picking when I'm gone, but you never know, it could happen.

8 comments:

  1. Oooh...wish you lived closer! Not just so I could pick your blueberries, either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could pick blueberries and you could make the desserts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish i lived close enough to come pick some berries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to pick some of your blueberries, but I hate to ask. I'll even pay you for some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why don't we all get together and have a Blueberry Festival at Martha's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're looking a little sadder but there's still plenty out there, Rachel.

    Wanda, wouldn't that be fun?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always loved having a freezer full of blueberries to use over the winter:-)

    ReplyDelete