Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Warning System

When I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life, that same wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand. Yet, if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered your soul. Ezekiel 3:18-19

I find this verse to be sobering. In a world were there are no absolutes, where right and wrong are decided by the individual, and where the laws of God are hidden away in a back room, how does one warn of God's anger and judgment? Why should people even care what God thinks if they don't even believe He exists? Does love accept all actions regardless or does it send out a warning? If love never sends out a warning is it truly love?

I have to admit that I would truly rather overlook the wickedness of most individuals, including myself.
Sometimes it would be easier to accept all lifestyle choices and religions. It would be easier to defend my children when they steal, lie, or cheat. It would be easier to say that alcoholism or drug addiction are diseases. It would be easier never to confront anyone with their need for a savior, to pretend there is no hell or judgment, no God to answer to. Sometimes it would be easier to look the other way...

Why should I want to subject myself to ridicule or hatred, to be called arrogant and demeaning because I care about someone, to live with broken relationships? There are no easy answers in this world, but to love does not always mean accepting any and everything. It does, however, mean loving and accepting people and laying our lives on the line for them. Sometimes that means sticking your neck out to tell someone they need Jesus. "God, help me learn how to accomplish such a task."

3 comments:

  1. Oh you are so right, it would be so much easier to do just as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very difficult task indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a tough one. It is something I've grappled with in my mind a lot.

    ReplyDelete