Monday, November 02, 2009

The Forgotten Holiday

Oh, that men would give thanks to the LORD for His goodness, And for His wonderful works to the children of men!
Psalm 107:15

Christmas trees are sprouting in the stores and loud speakers are beginning to leak holiday tunes, but somewhere in between that awful celebration of death and the wonderful promise of life is another day to remember. It's called Thanksgiving. It does not come with the same materialistic mayhem that surrounds our remembrance of Christ's birth, instead it is a day to gather with friends and family, share a feast, and recall all the blessings our Heavenly Father has bestowed upon us. Thankfulness can not be bought at the store, wrapped up in a box, or given away; it comes from deep within and therefore is difficult to market to the general public. This month I want to celebrate thankfulness.

1. Today, no surprise to you, I am thankful for my dad, a man who not only taught me about Christ, but lived out those principles before me. If only I can follow in his footsteps.

6 comments:

  1. No surprise to you I'm thankful for your dad too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, without your dad, there would be no you for J. :) Along with all the wonderful lessons he taught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No surprise to any of you, I'm so thankful for my dad too. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him and things that he said to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a few years, I was uninterested in Thanksgiving, because I really, really, really felt it was important to cultivate a feeling of thanks-giving EVERY day. As a matter of fact, until last year, I had worked every Thanksgiving since I was 16 years old. [That's a lot of Thanksgivings!] But wonderfully enough, after studying early American history with the boys I can't imagine skipping Thanksgiving ever again. I won't hijack your blog here, but I so deeply love the Pilgrims and their sacrifices. So deeply.
    I still purpose to be thankful everyday, but count me in on recognizing the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too truly love Thanksgiving. We grew up on the poor side, not starving, but making do with what we had...but Thanksgiving was grand! My parents made such a huge deal of it, and my memories of the steamy windows and sneaking those black olives that we only had once a year, and of course the smell of the biggest turkey we could find, roasting in it's aluminum foil tent in the giant roaster pan...The thing is, we were SO thankful. Our parents taught us well how to count our blessings. Yours did too!

    ReplyDelete