Saturday, January 26, 2008

Keeping the Books

I finished reading a book! I know that may not seem a huge accomplishment to some of you, but to me it is a wonderful thing. A few years back I did quite a bit of reading, mostly to my kids. It was a great way to spend some quality time together. We read books like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Caddie Woodlawn, and Mrs. Piggle-wiggle. We laughed at the escapades of Ramona Quimby, Henry Huggins, and Otis Spofford. We laughed at Hannah when she asked, "A boy named Homework?" (Homer Price) More recently we read about the missionary George Mueller and his orphanages in Bristol, England.
I read on my own too, but not near as often. About three years ago I read Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage but it was getting harder and harder to see the lines on the page. I read with one eye closed most of the time, had lots of headaches, and felt pretty much cross-eyed half the time.
Reading glasses have helped and this month I went in search of some good reading material. At the local library I found a copy of Facing Your Giants by Max Lucado. Seeing as I have been running into walls and gaping at seeming unconquerable mountains, this seemed just the book for me. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I have some great thoughts to meditate on and some wonderful words to encourage me on my way. Now I'm looking forward to reading 1 & 2 Samuel.

9 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you! Reading is a great pastime and good material makes it that much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, good for you!
    I read something all the time.
    In the morning I read the bible (I have a bible that you read through in one year, that takes about 15 min. a day) and at night I have a book at my night stand. I have to admit, I often don't read much at night, because me eyes fall shut.
    I read much more in the summer, when I lie at the lake :-)
    I read novels, then, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'll have to go in search of some books by Max Lucado too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relly love Max Lucado. I've read several of his books...but not that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's really good reading material!! I know you will love I & II Samuel. I'm doing a Beth Moore Bible Study on the Life of David...and we are in the books of Samuel.

    Yes, I'm a reader. I love to read for enjoyment...but most of the time I reading for a Study I'm either teaching or the student.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always enjoyed reading, but anymore it's just done in spurts. That's because if I start a book, nothing much else gets done, because I HAVE to get the book finished! I've never read any of Max Lucado's books, though I've heard of him for years. Maybe I'll make a point to get one of his for my next book. Would "Facing Your Giants" be a good one of his to start with, or would you recommend something else?
    Wanda-Beth Moore's Bible studies are amazing! That's something else I should get back into.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think almost any of Max's books would be good, Joeks. One of my favorites is The Applause of Heaven. He has a way of making the story apply to the reader and that is one of the things I like about him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to start "climbing your walls!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, Martha! Reading is such a great encouragement.

    ReplyDelete