Friday, January 11, 2008

Scaling the Wall

For by You I can run against a troop;
By my God I can leap over a wall.

2 Samuel 22:30



I am a wall builder, at least that is what I have been told. When faced with a problem or dilemma, my brain throws up a wall. For the most part I do not welcome a challenge, instead I want life to run along smoothly and not dish out any mountains to climb, unless they are in my plan. Some people thrive on competition. Not me. Rather than climb over, I would prefer to find a way around.


For the past few years my biggest challenge has been home schooling. What started out as an adventure 15 years ago, has become an increasingly stressful task. It has lost its luster, especially when it comes to teaching math and keeping records. This fall I joined (or should I say rejoined) the local support group. I missed the first meeting, had a conflict with the second, and totally forgot the last one. Truthfully, I'm not sure whether I can handle being part of the group as it involves a lot of running around and paying for group activities. Wall #1.

Working my life into a schedule is desperately needed too. As Priscilla said "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it 100% of the time" and sometimes I feel as though I am aiming at nothing. Here is my biggest challenge. I naturally work best when I have a routine, but for quite a long time my routine has been so relaxed that it is all but nonexistent. Without regularly scheduled activities, how do I establish a routine? Wall#2.

While thinking on this, the above verse came to mind. Life is full of obstacles. Everyone has them and there is no getting around it. So I guess, that with God's help I can face the challenges set before me. Either He will help me run against them or give me the boost I need to climb over. Now I just need to back up and see if I can get a running start...

12 comments:

  1. You will figure it out, Martha. Maybe the homeschool group will be just the change that you need to get going, especially now that you are homeschooling less children (since it will be less money for the activities that way?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But we don't know why she feels compelled to change her blog every day..."

    Blogging has become my secret wall, a place I can go to hide from reality. I do not thrive on on routines and schedules. They are not the drummers my feet and soul march to.

    "I missed the first meeting, had a conflict with the second, and totally forgot the last one".
    Humm, could this be a "small quiet voice" moment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Gmj, it probably could be. And actually, I'm not quite sure anymore what I thrive on, I just know that things aren't working out the way I would like them to. I don't have enough down time to fall into a natural routine nor enough scheduled time to say I have a regular routine. (Does that make any sense?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, ... and good luck!
    No, but really, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. I do believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steven would like to know if Bethany climbed all the way to the top of that wall.

    I don't know what to say except that life certainly gets stressful at times. I'll pray for you, that you find the strength and wisdom to do what needs to get done. You have done a wonderful job with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Bethany did climb all the way up the wall. (Maybe I'll post that someday...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOw! I thought that was an old picture of you until I read what Rachel and you wrote!!!! You look so much alike!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sometimes He just gives us a rope....so He doesn't take the challange out of our way no the obstical,but He does give us a way.
    you are in my prayers...don't forget to listen for the rope being thrown down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be listening T. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just caught up on your blog. (Brett kinda sorta temporarily fixed my 'puter! but it's not really fixed).... As you know, I know that h'schooling dilemma all too well! Remember flylady? And her babysteps??? I think you and I have the tendancy to see the whole mountain and let that overwelm us!! Also, we want it perfect right away cuz we feel so desperate.... but oh! the babysteps really WORKED! And amazingly fast too. just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shelly, I thought about that this morning... baby steps, yes. Maybe that is the idea (again). I keep wanting to jump the hurdles rather than take the time to climb the wall. Even with a rope to hang onto, its still one step at a time.

    Yesterday I made a two week menu to follow (again). That helps take off the supper time pressure. I've also decided to go back to Ladies' prayer on Tuesday mornings. Maybe I'll even stay for Bible study too and then go shopping or to visit m mom afterward.

    Its not getting school done but it is putting a little order to things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you do well with the weekly menu schedule, maybe a weekly school schedule can help.

    As for flylady, can you think of a way to use a timer to help with homeschool? Especially the parts that you dislike, like math?

    ReplyDelete