Thursday, January 24, 2008

Whiteout

Troy's dad has gone back to his teaching job at a local college, so Troy was here yesterday and I had to pick him up at preschool this noon. I drove off in whiteout conditions to retrieve the small child and bring him back home for lunch. Nothing like a whiteout to add some excitement to winter driving. Add slick roads to near zero visabilty and you can have more excitement that you bargained for. Thankfully, I was able to navigate both to the village and home again with "little" difficulty.
Smart people wear boots when the snow is accumulating, just in case they for some unforseen reason may have to get out of the vehicle, but I am not one of them. I go out in sneakers and then have cold wet feet for the remainder of the day. At least I was wearing my winter jacket and had gloves on... I'm happy to say I did not need to get out of the van for any reason other than going into preschool. But... my feet are feeling rather wet and cold. I think I may need a dry pair of socks and a warm pair of slippers. Good thing for a woodstove to dry out my shoes.

7 comments:

  1. I picked Melissa up from school and it was the same! We had to go and get shavings for the barn and that's how it looked like when we drove around!!
    Don't you just love Up State NY winters??
    At least I was wearing boots....
    I love our wood stove, too, and a cup of tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at work, admiring the snow falling outside my window. By the time I got out it was coming down rather lightly. Good thing because I had a meeting with Steven's teacher and I was late as it was.

    I hope your feet are warm and toasty now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrr.! That looks wicked cold. I am a very poor snow and ice driver. It is way scary for me. I can do it, but I shake after I get where I am going and it's not from the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, but burrrrrrr, I can just imagnine the cold!!!
    Come on Spring...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was minus 5 degrees on my way to school yesterday morning. Brrr. But guess what? It's one day closer to Spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos...the wonderful things that come out of not so great other things is amazing...these photos are keepers...simply incredible photos...and as far as your feet..shame on you for wearing sneakers (spoken from one who has been there done that)but the other great thing is that wonderful tingling cosy sensation we get as we thaw out and dry off and slip into wonderful dry warm socks and slippers..each day is like a new and wonderful christmas gift..and we have a happy little boychild well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you were safe...but you should wear boots!

    ReplyDelete