Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Cold Day

It's cold outside. It feels cold inside too. My feet are cold, my hands are cold. Being cold makes me thankful for things that make me warm; a hot drink, a roaring fire, layers of blankets, a warm husband... I'm also thankful that it won't be winter forever even though it often seems long and unending. And, when I see the temperatures in Minnesota, I am thankful to live in Upstate NY.

It has been a contemplative weekend. Yesterday afternoon we returned to our previous church fellowship to attend a funeral service. The friend who passed on touched many lives. He was known for his leadership and for his love, for his faith and generosity. He left behind a beautiful wife, three wonderful grown children and a host of friends. At the service we saw many old friends, some of them also former church members. Some are attending other churches like us, some have moved out of the area, and some remain members of the fellowsip we all attended. We all have people in our lives who have been an incredible influence and example of faith. During the 12 years we attended BBCS, we had an abundance of such people. God has moved many of us on to new places and in time, those of us who were once young and in need of encouragement will be doing the influencing. A sobering thought... Can we ever be the shining example to others that some of these dear friends have been to us? Only as we grow in Christ and allow His love to flow through us.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, it is a VERY cold day. We stayed inside after church, and tonight we are having hot veggie beef soup.

    Sorry about the death of your friend. How awesome that he touched so many lives in such a positive way, what a legacy to leave behind. Knowing that he knew Christ makes the funeral not such a sad one...still sad for those he left behind, but such a comfort to know that he's in the arms of a loving Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important that we all learn from what happened to Terry. He really stepped up to the plate after he found out he had cancer. It is my prayer that we take every opportunity to make a difference in this world for Christ while we are healthy, and not wait till it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure others think already the same about you! You do serve in kid's church and things I am sure I don't know about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post. You have such a sensitive spirit Martha. The dessert looked good, and I wonder if everyone in the world has that "cookbook". I've had mine since marriage. The pages I use the most look just terrible...stains, tears, etc. But I just can't get rid of it..It will go to Southern CA with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to have friends we can remember with love. Ditto on Wanda, I am on my second "red plaid" as the kiddos call it. I also can't give up my first one! They sit side by side on my shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cookbook was my Grandma's. It must have been a second or third too as the copyright is 1974.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weather- it's not so bad. Ok it is, but thanks for reminding me it won't last.

    I am sorry about your friend too. You are (and your sisters are) wonderful examples of Christian women. I am glad I have found you and this circle of bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything Kristina just said--me too!

    Oh, and I grew up with that cookbook too. (I think our "gingersnaps" recipe is from it.) My mom still has the book.

    ReplyDelete