Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A Time to be Born and a Time for a Birthday


It's hard to believe that forty years have passed since this birthday. So many years and yet such a short time. I can't remember turning two but I can remember bits and pieces of my third birthday and other subsequent celebrations. Now days a birthday just means I am another year older, well into my journey through life. It's kind of funny how our perspective gradually changes as the years go by. Any of us who are paying attention know that life doesn't last forever. I used to wonder at King David saying in Psalm 39 that our lives are as a vapor. As a child that is difficult to understand but there comes a day when all of us can relate to the brevity of life. Praise God there is more to life than what we have here on earth and with that perspective it is a little easier to remember that no matter what the world says, it really isn't about me, I'm not really "number one", and I don't necessarily "deserve it". The world is full of people who need to know that Jesus loves them, that He died for them, and that is really what matters.

5 comments:

  1. Amen, sister!
    You seem to have a much better memory than I do, maybe it's due to my Alzheimer's. The earliest birthday I remember is my 5th. Grandma and Grandpa came over, and I got the fisher price A-frame. I do remember sitting in my highchair though, and we each had a vitamin, mine being the only chewable kind. I also remember sitting on the counter having ice applied to my head after bumping into the wall pretty hard while navigating the house with my eyes shut. I don't recall how old I was though. The hard bump must have given me amnesia. I remember walking to the village , hand in hand with Mom, to take the bus downtown to buy ugly boy shoes for my flat feet. Hmmm...how old must have been then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jim's mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to my favorite Martha!

    ReplyDelete