Friday, August 31, 2018

Today's News

* Yesterday's truck, the one that didn't arrive at the daycare to replenish our food supply, was actually rescheduled,by the owner's wife, to arrive next week. It will all work out fine. Ground meat, for goulash, and bread for sandwiches, will be purchased at the store, but otherwise we will be fine. Milk and produce come on separate trucks.

* Our brother. We have good news today, at least for now. His move to the other home has been put on hold pending another evaluation by physical therapy. Our prayer now is that he is walking as well during that appointment as he was with Rachel yesterday. I am grateful for my sister Rachel and his advocate Meghan. They are fighting for him.

* And then there is the roof... The back porch is gone and the back portion of the roof has been stripped to the plywood. I was a t work all day and am incredibly grateful to all who helped! The dormer window that Dad installed over 50 years ago has been removed and the hole made bigger and wider. Tomorrow it will be framed out and sometime in early October, when it arrives, the new window will be installed.

I thought the dismantling of Dad's back porch would be harder, but I am remembering that a back porch my dad built is not the same as my dad. He isn't the things he built or owned. He was and is so very much more than things.
It is okay to feel a little sad, but I don't have to grieve.  In fact, I am relieved because I know the porch was just a future maintenance nightmare, one I wouldn't want to face. I am actually feeling pretty good about this whole project, even if they did snip a wire and cut out the power to everything but the kitchen. Hey, what better room to still have electric? Everything is back on now and we're ready for tomorrow.
 
(One of our helper grandsons.)

4 comments:

  1. ...good news about Tim. What a project, I hope that it doesn't rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're hoping to have it sealed up by this evening. Wish us luck, or better yet say a prayer.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. I’m sorry that we couldn’t be a part of this since we are in Pennsylvania for the holiday weekend l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay. Dave and Rachel will be in PA next weekend. You and I will catch up too.

      Delete