Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Barn Collective

I pass this old beauty every day on my way to work. Wild grape vines slowly consume abandoned buildings. What starts out appearing subtle and harmless, eventually results in total demise...

It works that way in life too. Little habits creep in barely noticed., intending to take us down. It's important to keep the weeds down and prevent trees from getting established too close to the foundation. We all need to create boundaries. They keep us safe.

Of course, boundaries really start within. The roof must be kept sealed so the water can't get in, a good coat of paint will prevent the exterior from rotting, and a good pair of clippers will keep the weeds from taking over.

Where am I going with all this? Be safe, establish good habits, and and don't let anyone else take you down.

It's not raining yet. Come on over to Tom's while the sun's still shining.




12 comments:

  1. ...oh I know this one well. Perhaps the vines are holding the sweetie together! Thanks for sharing Martha, keep cruising 'Barn Heaven.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so sad for places like this----what is it's story I wonder and you paralleled it with life and that in itself is a great story
    MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking it was once a dairy farm. I'd like to know its story too.

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of cudzu in the south...just grow over everything like a slow-moving monster! :-) But they make for some wonderful photos of old buildings and barns, like yours are. Oh I just LOVE the look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vines make fantastic photos!
      And thank you, Colorful, for stopping by. I like visitors.

      Delete
  4. What a contrast between the old and the new!
    (the barn and the electric line)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, monsters in the background, traipsing across the farmland.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Tom's comment. Likely the vines are holding it together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tearing it down and holding it together all at the same time. Part of the deception, yes?

      Delete
  6. Part of the deception...yes. We often will try to convince ourselves that our vines are necessarily or at the worst, harmless.

    ReplyDelete