Wednesday, January 20, 2016

My Take on Italian Wedding Soup

I haven't been doing much cooking as of late, but this evening I had enough time and plan. I made Italian Wedding Soup, even though I am not Italian and no one is getting married.

 My Take on Italian Wedding Soup

1/2 white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 T butter
32 oz container chicken broth
1 pound mild sausage, browned and left in bite-sized chunks
1 15 oz. can cannellini beans
par boiled acini de pepe (maybe 3/4 c.)
 7-9 oz. fresh washed baby spinach
2 T. chicken stock
black pepper
few shakes each of 
 dried basil and oregano

Saute onion and garlic in butter. Add to soup broth in large Dutch oven. Add cooked sausage, (I had venison sausage), beans, par boiled pasta (I didn't measure, but I boiled them for 5 minutes in water before adding them to my soup.), spinach, chicken soup base, and spices. I turned off the heat after I put the spinach in and let it sit for a while then garnished it with Parmesan cheese when ladled into bowls. Dee-licious!

6 comments:

  1. It must have been soup day because I made a big pot also! I LOVE home made soup. I plan on making a couple of different ones in the next week and freezing it.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freezing it sounds like a great idea. It would be nice to come home one day and have dinner ready in just the click of my fingers.
      :0)

      Delete
    2. You have to remember to get it out to thaw :-) I'm good at forgetting :-(

      Marilyn from Canada

      Delete
    3. That would be my problem too.

      Delete
  2. Oh it sound really good. Good warm food on a chilly night!!
    Made beef pot pie last night. Michel came for dinner and to go to church with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made too many pot pies, but I do tend to make a lot of soup in the winter.
      :0)

      Delete