Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Wednesday

I did something different today. I volunteered a few hours to a local elementary school, the one where my sister has been long term substitute librarian for the past year.  For a few hours I sorted books on the shelves, making sure they were in the proper order and fixing them if they weren't. It wasn't hard aside from my feeble brain wanting to forget what number I had just read from the spine of each book... (582.34 GER, 577 SCH, 599.8 WEX,...) After a time a break is imperative simply because one begins to go cross-eyed and the number blur together. In all honesty, it was kind of fun, and I think perhaps I might need to find a semi-regular volunteer position somewhere.

This afternoon I took a walk about the yard. I went round in circles, back and forth, up and down. Yesterday I took photos of Indian Paintbrushes, today I mowed them down. Well, they weren't actually the same ones I took pictures of, those are still standing, but they looked the same. One should never let the lawn get out of control (not that it was) or it will become necessary to run down and destroy something almost beautiful. I tried to pretend I didn't see them.



8 comments:

  1. Good for you.....
    Volunteering is awesome!
    I just might try that in the Fall....
    Something to think about.....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to feel like I helped in some small way.
      Yes, something to think about.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. I got cross eyed just looking at those three numbers! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya think? She's got the non fiction about half done, I think. Maybe a couple more days of volunteers. If it isn't done by next week, maybe I'll find a time to go back.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. If you drop the alpha letters these numbers are in the form of diagnostic medical codes. - From a Medical Coder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how m any things are given numbers, great and small... Good thing we know how to count!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your help. The library is 100% shelf read now. Just finished the biographies today. Still taking inventory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't seem to get away this week. Just didn't happen, but I'm glad to know you got it all done, and at least I helped with part of it.
      :0)

      Delete