Thursday, June 05, 2014

Air Conditioning

Did I say it felt like summer? Silly me. I thought I could get away with wearing flip flops today but gave up partway through the morning when my feet started turning blue. I have memories of a distant summer, the summer of 1992. It was the year of the cold summer, the one where our garden veggies turned white because the nights were too cold. I would recall only two hot and humid days that entire summer. It was the year we bought seven half-price airline tickets and took our five children on a three week vacation to New Mexico. I vowed to move to Albuquerque if we ever had another summer like that. I'm hoping I don't have to rent a truck...

I honestly don't know what to do on days like this. We had three small grandchildren. There was no sense in trying to clean. It was cold inside and cold outside. (Sixty-two degrees Fahrenheit is cold, right?) I decided, against my better judgement, to make cookies. Baking doesn't really warm up the house, you know? All the heat stays inside the oven unless you prop the door open and the cookies don't bake evenly that way.

I opted not to take "the wild ones" over to Bethany's yard sale. I had a flashback to last week's visit to Target and realized that our presence might be more of a hindrance than a help. Simon decided not to be quiet during rest time... He did not get a cookie for an afternoon snack. I warned him and he laughed. Guess he thought I was kidding. I wasn't.

Would you believe I am wrapped in an afghan? I have shoes and socks on but my feet are still cold. For heaven's sake, it isn't snowing or anything! What I'd really like to do is submerge myself in a tub of hot water or crawl under my bed covers. What I probably should do is hop on the treadmill and get my blood pumping... Ah... maybe I'll have one of those cookies instead. (ha ha!)

8 comments:

  1. It was chilly here today, too! I started off with t-shirt and shorts and traded the shorts to long pants and slippers! I had the window open and now they are all shut. Our air conditioner needs some repairs and won't be done until next week. We haven't missed it one bit! lol....

    I agree about you not going to the yard sale. haha. You would not have been able to enjoy it. How did it go, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she sold a lot of puzzles. I decided not to let the cruets go just yet... Couldn't do it. Maybe I'll fill them with candies and give them to Mom's grandchildren for Christmas. The sale goes through Saturday. If I find some good stuff to sell maybe Hannah can go over for a while tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I agree about the weather....
    In the car it was hot.....then cool and windy from car to store....hot in the store....cold back to the car....geesh!
    My kitchen faces West, so it is always toasty in there...especially when it is sunny...and the oven has 2 banana blueberry loaves baking.....
    PLUS....we took Miss V to the park....windy and cool....
    The never ending Winter!
    The cottage is still really cold inside, I think because the ground is still so cold....not enough warm sunny days...
    I still have the flannels on the bed out there...AND the electric blanket!
    Man...am I rambling or what? Hahaha!
    Enjoy your weekend Martha....hope you warm up!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's supposed to be a beautiful weekend anyway! Just think, in the fall these temperatures will feel cool and refreshing... Perhaps it is the cold ground and the dampness together.
      Ramble if you like. I don't mind a bit.
      PS. I didn't really eat any cookies.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. It was warm enough when I left for work this morning, but I was shocked at how cool it was when I got out. I had an open house to go to at an oral surgeon's office, and I had brought 2 different outfits to wear. Fortunately I wore the sweater (a light summer sweater, but better than the sleeveless shirt I had brought). It's supposed to be a warm and beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sure it would get warmer throughout the day, but the afternoon found Hannah and I on the loveseat on the back porch wrapped in a blanket (and wearing sweaters) while the kids played on the swing set.

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your weather.. u check for chilblains on those chilin's. v

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! You had me looking up "chilblains"! You are a funny one.
      :0)

      Delete