Sunday, June 08, 2014

Bonfire

Ben planned it, Hannah helped send out the invitations, and I have to say they really had a great group of friends out there. We really do have the perfect spot for hosting bonfires and yesterday brought the perfect weather for one. Friends had been invited, food prepared, and firewood stacked. We couldn't have asked for a better day. Our guests were young, I can't at the moment think of one who was over the age of 24, but they didn't appear to mind me wandering about among them, attempting to be inconspicuous.

Pickup trucks are perfect for parking around the perimeter of our backyard bonfires. It's a little bit country, I think.

We served chili and hotdogs, and filled a box with fixings for s'mores. There was way more food than these kids attempted to eat. I think they mostly enjoyed hanging out around the fire. There was a lot of friendly conversation, a little bit of Frisbee, and ample amounts of laughter. I didn't really count, but there must have been close to 25 or 30 people out there. Enough to make it a party, but not so many that it got out of control.

One of the girls at church thanked me this morning for hosting the bonfire. She's home from college for the summer and hopes maybe we'll do it again. Could this turn out to be the Summer of the Bonfire?

Things finally wound down around midnight when the last of the guests pulled out of the driveway and we finally made our way upstairs to bed. It was a nice night. I'm hoping we do it again too.

:0)









8 comments:

  1. What fun! That is so much more fun than an expensive party where you have to rent a hall, have the food catered...I want to come to your next one...Will they let an old lady???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they let me and once you're over thirty, I don't think it makes much difference to them how old you are. It would be so much fun if you did come. Let's do it!
      :0)

      Delete
  2. How very nice! I kind of miss this kind of stuff happening at our house when we had college kids! :)

    Love that picture with the moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's why I want to be out there to enjoy it. Whatever will I do when we run out of kids? Guess we'll have to do it anyway. Wanna come? Wanda is.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. yea!! great times great memories. bet u slept well, and
    I hope ur allergies are better,, just a touch of wood smoke, a chill-dog, ah.. and all by the light of a moon.
    Lets do it again.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once my allergies get into full swing, a little fire can't do much more harm. I think we all slept good Saturday night.
      Yes, let's do it again!
      :0)

      Delete
  4. When I'm in NY with my kids we always have summer bonfires. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to the next one. Maybe I can even get my honey to sit out there with me...

      Delete