Monday, June 16, 2014

The Weekend

It was a busy weekend, a good kind of busy weekend. Hannah and I drove to Auburn to fetch Joe and bring him home for the weekend. He doesn't have to work until Tuesday evening and I decided to seize the moment while I had opportunity. I did not go grocery shopping, neither did I go to the bank. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow... My cupboards look pretty full, but I could use a new box of trash bags and maybe some French vanilla coffee creamer... maybe.

Saturday dawned cold and gloomy. The weather forecast promised sunshine and warmer temperatures but I began to doubt its validity and cooked up a pot of chili for the church picnic rather than a cold salad. The picnic started a five o'clock and, whadda'ya know?, right about 4:30 pm the clouds dissipated, the sun came out, and the temperatures became tolerable. I kept my sweatshirt on, cause I'm a doubter, but it stayed nice.

Sunday afternoon our kids brought over a Father's Day picnic lunch and we had some family time. (Two picnics in two days!!!) We had chicken, bacon cheese burgers, salt potatoes, corn on the cob, baked beans, and watermelon. It was a good day.


Nothing quite like a family picnic, except maybe one where there are friends too.

Grandpa even got a little help down in his garden.





8 comments:

  1. Nice!! the boys look so ..nice, like, as in get dressed up for Fathers day. cool picnics are fun. and it sounds' like yours was well rounded.. we had fried chicken, (i dont know what salt potatoes are) we had boiled redskin potatoes, they looked a lot like yours. canned corn.. Papa can't eat the ears any more and I don't have the heart to eat it in front of him. and ciabatta rolls
    warm rice and raisin pudding. no picnic, just me and the Papa. and for an extra "desert" Papa got to pick what ever war movie he wanted. Sigh, and it was the bloody one with Brad Pitt. I excused my self and took a walk. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salt potatoes, I think, are a regional thing. They're really just small potatoes, about golf ball size, that are cooked in very salty water. We like to pour garlic butter over them. They're great at picnics. (I don't know what ciabatta rolls are...)
      James watches movies I'd rather not sometimes. I'm not much on sitting on the edge of my seat anymore, and I could do without any violence. A walk sounds nice.

      Delete
    2. Martha, I'm surprised with how much you've been to Panara, you don't know what ciabatta rolls are.

      Delete
    3. Well, since I haven't been eating much bread I haven't been paying attention to what kind of rolls are out there. I've been ordering salads at Panera. (And I still don't know what ciabatta rolls are. Maybe it's time to google it.)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a very fun weekend! There's just nothing like picnic food! The best part of summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, gotta love picnics! (And bonfires. I think we need a few more of those.)
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Looks yummy. Sounds like a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete