Wednesday, July 31, 2013

C is for Counting

C is for counting, counting contractions.

Last night I had no idea what to post for the letter C, but this morning I found an exciting message on my answering machine. The voice on the other end belonged to my son and he was calling to let us know that the countdown has begun. Our grandson is ready to make his arrival...

Years ago, when asked, I told people I was collecting children. It seemed an appropriate answer to those who stared and asked, "Are they ALL yours?" I never wanted any of my children to feel as though they were a "mistake", a "surprise", or an "accident". I believe each and every child has a purpose and every one should know they are much wanted and much loved. My husband and I collected seven children in fourteen years and when we completed our collection we were only 31 years old. (See Quiver.) Now our original collection is grown and we are counting grandchildren.

Little Austin will be our first far-away grandbaby. We won't be visiting him in the hospital or taking tiny newborn  photos, instead I will be counting the days until I make a return trip to Minnesota. (September suddenly feels very far away...) However, my daughter just so happens to be heading that direction tomorrow morning (no fair!) for an entirely different reason, and she will get to soak up some new nephew snuggles and hopefully bring a few home to me.

I am anxious to hear that this new little one has been safely delivered.

PS. The photo is not our newest baby, but his daddy who came to stay almost 32 years ago.

For more ABC Wednesday posts, click here.

PPS. He has arrived. We are blessed. :)

9 comments:

  1. I bet September does seem so far away!!! I keep watching fb to see when Austin makes his entry into the world! So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! How wonderful! I know exactly what you feel. Last year my Australian daughter got a baby-girl in February and it was not until July that I could see her. I wish your little grandson a happy life in good health.
    Enjoy your family life!
    Wil, ABCW Team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother always wanted to have lots of children, but she lost several, including one who lived for four days. But she kept trying. My youngest brother was born when I was 21. It took Mom eight pregnancies to get four children, but each of us was wanted just as much as the others. I'm so glad you feel that way about your seven.
    With today's instant communication, you will have photos and maybe even a Skype conversation with your new grandbaby very soon, and your daughter will make sure everyone is thinking of you.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely the best post for the letter C!!!!
    Congratulations to the whole family!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your wonderful 'C'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who's counting, the more the merrier.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wonderful news! And a sweet photo of your first baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, congrats; even if you can't be there, you will be in spirit
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete