Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Thankful

Yesterday morning I filled my travel mug with my favorite coffee and headed out to Ladies' Prayer. I had finished my morning brew when around 11 am I began to feel a headache coming on. I took some ibuprofen but even half an hour later, rather than fading, the headache seemed to be intensifying.

Rocky, her sister, and I stopped for a few more bags of sand and a wading pool before heading home. I threw together a lunch and tried desperately to keep my eyes open. I just wanted to sleep. Bethany called looking for a grammy to watch her little ones while she did her Norwex demonstration, and wanting to be a good Mom, I hoped for the best and said okay.

We filled the kid pool and while the girls played, I tried to rest on the back porch but the headache was getting worse. I began to suspect our normal half and half coffee that morning had been totally decaf. My fears were confirmed when James returned home with a headache of his own. I popped an Excederine but it was too late. The headache wasn't leaving.

Bethany arrived with the boys and I made dinner but before my curly lasagna was out of the oven I was laying on the floor trying not to move. My stomach churned and my head throbbed. Josh said he was hungry but I couldn't move. James finally returned from his appointment around the corner and helped the kids with dinner. When Jakie decided to cry, I took him upstairs to the portable crib where he howled and I lay unmoving on the bed. The Benadryl I'd taken finally started to kick in and Jake got tired of howling and lay down to sleep. I thanked God it was Tuesday and not Wednesday. I can't have a headache and watch two small children 24/7.

Boy! It was a hot one today! We played inside.

I don't have any pool pictures, but we did fill up our sandbox and it's fun too. Actually, the sandbox is why I bought the pool.


8 comments:

  1. I guess sometimes you just have to say "no", eh?
    I know how difficult that can be...
    Glad you are feeling better today...
    Except for the ants, of course! ha!
    Is it the decaf that gives you the headache???

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes I have to say no, but saying no when there is no one else around (Beth's other babysitters are in Grenada...) doesn't seem fair either. Had I known my headache would be so vicious, I would have said no, but I thought it would get better.

      It's going without the coffee that gives me the headache. Caffeine withdrawal.

      Delete
  2. That sounds horrible. :\ I suffered with a migraine for 1/2 the day at work yesterday even though I had taken 2 Excedrin Migraine pills. I wondered if it had something to do with the weather being so hot and humid. Today I took 2 Advil and used the pool and stayed in the AC as much as possible. Hopefully Mom is doing well in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely pool days, Rachel, but we're just camping out int he house. I don't have enough eyes, ears, arms, or legs to keep up otherwise.

      Wanna come over and help Mom with a shower?

      Delete
    2. I would come over and help her with a shower, but I feel over my head here. I worked all day today, got home at 6:00pm. We're entertaining out of town guests this weekend and I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed myself...have tons to do before they get here. I will be over on Monday to take Mom to visit Tim. If she needs a shower on Monday, I'll help her out.

      Delete
    3. Hannah will be home by then. We'll get by. James will have to help me out on Saturday if I can't get it done before.

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha...I have friends that have those horrible kinds of headaches..I don't know how you function. I'm praying today will be a better day, and you have the right kind of coffee!!!! Loving you today big time.l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a headache is that bad, one can not function at all. I put poor Jake int he crib and let him cry it out. I felt bad but I knew he was safe and would be alright. I just couldn't take care of him better any other way.

      I've been on track again and feeling good yesterday and today.

      Delete