Saturday, July 27, 2013

In the Quiet

The house is suddenly quiet and still. No more giggling children, no more requests of "juice, please," no more clamoring at my feet as soon as I sit down to rest. There will be no more petrified screaming at bedtime, and tomorrow morning no small boy pointing out the window to tell me "it's sunny." I can now take a shower at will, or give my mother one. I can sit out on the back porch, enjoy my rocking chair swing, or wander the yard as desired. There will be far fewer toys to trip over (once I pick up those Beanie Babies again) and fewer Disney movies or Veggie Tale videos. Two very excited children have gone home with their well rested and refreshed parents. The job is done and I think I just may be exhausted... and in need of that ice cream cone I never got on Sunday.  :0)

9 comments:

  1. You did so good Martha....Make that a triple scoop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went out for ice cream after supper tonight. Took Ben and Hannah along, met Nate and Sabrina there. Gotta love those giant "baby" cones!

      Delete
  2. yay! Good for you! Rest, relax and have icecream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little ones weren't gone long when a sudden severe case of exhaustion over took me. For the hour or so I lay on the couch some idiot was racing an obnoxiously loud motorcycle up and down the street. I almost wished I had a shotgun handy!

      Delete
  3. I know how you feel!
    We went swimming Friday. I had a nap!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, What bugs me is I can even hear the roaring boats on the lake 750 m away! Our highway traffic is appalling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be used to the boats out on Lake Ontario, the race cars at the track, and sprayers in the orchards, but the sound of a motorcycle roaring down the road jolts me awake like nothing else. (Of course, I'd never really use the shotgun...)

      Thanks for visiting, Jennifer.

      Delete
  5. What a blessing you were to their family!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bonding time between me and the kids even if I am still tired. :)

      Delete