Friday, July 05, 2013

Rain Walk Two

It's quite possible that summer is here, complete with the warm, pouring bursts of rain I remember so well from my teenaged years. Those were the days when we hopped on our bicycles, rode to town, stopped at Burger King for lunch, and got caught in several downpours in the process. There is nothing quite so wonderful as a warm summer rain, even if we don't need anymore precipitation.

Today's rain was the on-again, off-again kind; sun shining one minute, rain pouring down the next. It was the inviting type of rain, the kind that beckons you into it's shower. I was enticed by its goodness and wandered out into the backyard, soaking up the sweetness of another summer rain. Unlike the rain of my last venture, this rain was warm and I did not seek out the shelter of an umbrella, in fact the run-off from the barn roof was more than I could resist. The water ran through the hole at the end of the gutter pipe in a torrent. The thought of neighbors watching was only a brief and passing thought as I stepped, fully clothed, into the outdoor shower and felt myself smile...

A light rain was still falling when the sun peeked out from behind the clouds. Rather than soak my freshly washed kitchen floor, I opened the front door and asked Hannah for my camera. She raised both her eyebrows and my camera before handing it over. I was drenched from head to toe, mascara running down my face, rain spattered reading glasses atop my head, and a smile on my face.

Since I was already wet but not at all chilled, I said "yes" to the rocking chair swing that was calling my name. I refuse to complain about the rain that I can't keep from falling anyway. Might as well enjoy its beauty instead, besides it was a wonderful way to wrap up the afternoon.

PS. Please forgive the word verification I've enabled. I'm hoping it keeps my blog from being tagged as spam in the future.

10 comments:

  1. I like this. Act like a kid. Always. Except in a fancy restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would act like a kid more often if I could just get away from all the children around here...

      Delete
  2. The reason you are so attractive spontaneous acts of fecklessness.
    to Beth
    And when dads around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounded absolutely delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I can scarcely wait for the next rain!

      Delete
  4. Awesome Martha!
    One of your best posts yet!!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    I lost my blog today as well...then got a code...I thought I had word verification?? don't I??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do have word verification. For some reason blogger was throwing both our comments into my spam folder. I had to get a code too. Very distressing.

      Delete
  5. And a swing as well!!!!
    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! A swing as well. Can't forget about my swing! :)

      Delete