Saturday, July 20, 2013

Gale Force (A Skywatch Friday)

The heat wave was broken yesterday afternoon when gale force winds whipped across the lake and into town. A cousin, who lives in Toronto, posted a photo on Facebook just an hour or so before the storm arrived here. (This is her photo taken near St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada.) Thanks to Tracy, I had time to put away all the toys, take down my hanging plants, and secure the sandbox cover before any real wind hit us. A little forewarning is always nice, especially with the kind of wind that came with this cold front.

When I heard the wind pick up, I grabbed my camera and stepped out the front door. The clouds were dancing and the wind wrapped my hair around my face. I clicked the shutter... Suddenly the wind picked up speed, whirled the trees into a frenzy, and threw dust into my face. I quickly decided outside wasn't the best place to be, made one last click and ran for the door!

The wind, bent on destruc- tion, tore the top off one of our black walnut trees and scattered leaves and small branches across the road. We watched helplessly as our vegetable garden struggled to survive under dark clouds and fierce wind, but there was little we could do to stop the damage. (This photo was taken by a friend up by Rt 104 toward town, probably about the time our garden was being flattened.)

Our electricity went out with the storm's arrival, and after an hour of having Mom on a reserve oxygen tank, James hauled out the generator. We spent the remainder of the evening without electronic devices while the little ones, excited by the candles on the table, danced around yelling "Happy Birthday!" This storm and subsequent power outage made the purchase of a generator worthwhile. It kept not only Mom's machine going, but the refrigerator and one lamp too. Bonus, James was able to make coffee this morning. Our power came back around 8:30 am.

Linking up to Skywatch Friday this time.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah the coffee was a bonus, I was almost considering running to DD when I realized I could just plug in, duh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost forgot too, and then I rememebered... I thought that had too many e's, and it did.

      Delete
  2. We hardly got a thing. Just a heavy downpour and some wind, but nothing destructive. Our power went out, but came on shortly after. It was just enough to have the clocks all blinking and having to reset them. That was it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind was pretty impressive, but we didn't get a whole lot in the way of rain, at least not initially. The power outage must have had to do with all the branches that came down when the front moved across the area.

      Delete
  3. We had some of this at the cottage...
    My daughter in Burlington had many trees down...was a tornado!!!
    Glad you are safe...we are too!!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite the wind!
      Glad everyone is safe.
      :)

      Delete