Friday, March 01, 2013

The Bake Shop

On cold wintery days sometimes baking helps, so this morning I mixed up a batch of pumpkin muffins. Truth be told today's "pumpkin" is really butternut squash. I pulled it out of my freezer yesterday and let it thaw overnight.
Though it may have been thick and bulky when it went into the deep freeze, it became thin and watery after thawing. I decided to remove some of the water and let it run through a coffee filter before scooping the pulp into my measuring cup. Worked like a charm!

This is my niece's gluten free recipe. It's made with sorghum, tapioca, and coconut flours and even licking the bowl is pleasurable. The only ingredients I am not absolutely certain are gluten free are my spices and vanilla flavoring, but I didn't use the vanilla this time around.

Since I make this recipe from scratch (no boxed mix), I'm often left with just a little too much batter for my muffin tin. I used to pile it into the muffin cups anyway, but it made "muffin tops" on my muffins and I found them unsightly. Now I scoop the extra into a mini Mason jar and they all turn out perfect.

Who's bringing the coffee?

4 comments:

  1. Me! Coffee...coming right up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Wow, you are amazing. I would love to come hang out with you. Baking, blogging, drinking coffee...

    ReplyDelete