Wednesday, March 27, 2013

New Life

Spring has arrived with great determination. Last week's snow led me to believe that nothing much could be happening in my backyard gardens, but I was mistaken. Just a quick glance about the yard this morning opened my eyes. God is faithful and spring is on her way after all.






Much remains stark, brown, and naked, but here and there the shoots of future flowers are showing themselves; tulips, daffodils, and crocus. How did I miss the fact that my daffodil buds are already bulging? Bright yellow flowers wrapped safely in a womb of their own, awaiting the light of the sun and warm spring winds.





My lilacs too are hopeful, hopeful for sunlight and warm, gentle rains. No matter how they make my nose itch, I am in love with lilacs, especially the light purple ones. Likely I will bury my nose in the flowers and sneeze my head off. I may even find myself fighting allergy headache, yet every spring I breathe deep the scent of lilac blossoms. Either I am slow to learn or find the consequence worthwhile.

My little crocus flowers will be the first to dress in bright spring colors. They are made to smile and they do it well.  Would that there were more of them out there, but I am grateful for the few that brighten up a little spot of yard each April.

We didn't do a fantastic job of clearing away all last autumn's fallen leaves but the new sprouts don't appear to mind. The dead leaves are pushed aside or lifted high as this year's fresh leaves reach for the sky. I even found myself, with eyes closed, soaking in a ray of sunlight which streamed in through my kitchen window just the other day. It was awesome.

Thank you God for spring and new life! And thank you also for my new and tiny grandson who will join our family this August. Yup, we're getting another boy!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on another Grandson!!!
    Wonderful news!
    I see you did a small garden tour like I did yesterday...lovely surprises waiting for you...
    I have been to the grocery store, and I am going to be in the kitchen alllll afternoon...Love it!!

    Enjoy your day

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting cabin fever. Bring on the warm weather!

      Delete
  2. I hear you...
    Not a great day today...supposed to warm up on the weekend...Perhaps some raking????

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another grandson - wonderful!

    Spring will come as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will come. Summer? Well, that is debatable... ;)

      Delete