Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Supposing

I suppose you could say I am in the job market, but just what exactly does a middle aged woman, who hasn't worked outside her home since her days of being a cashier at the local grocery store, do to earn money, especially with an elderly mother to look after?  I've babysat for six and a half years now and I am tired. I want to have something left to give my grandchildren at the end of the day. There must be something I can work my way into as I work my way out of doing childcare, but it has to be something I can learn from home, preferably something I can do from home as well, and not something with a huge upfront investment, which is why I am babysitting...

Today was even colder outside than yesterday. No snowballs at the bus stop, and no mud. Everything was frozen solid. I'm always relieved on these days when the bus comes over the hill and I can go back in the house. Soon, hopefully very soon, we will be soaking up warm air and sunshine while we wait.

This evening the sun decided to show itself for just a few minutes before disappearing for the night. I think I shall always count the evening sun and shadows on Bob's barn a gift of brilliant color. Something about it always makes me smile. It was especially pretty today, even wit the crusty, crunchy covering of snow.

7 comments:

  1. Martha, I will be praying that the Lord shows you the thing He has handpicked for you to do - He knows the desires of your heart, He knows all of your needs, and the needs of those in your home that need your time and presence. May He continue to give you strength as you wait for His plan to be revealed. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda. I know you love me, and I love you too.

      Delete
  2. Hard decisions, I know! Hope you come up with some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One idea is jewelry making. Seems to be a big market for handmade jewelry now. A good marketing source is Etsy.com. Check it out for ideas. My brother has a shop on Etsy.com called 2woodhunters, and he makes items out of reclaimed wood. Michaels has lots of jewelry making supplies. I've made a few necklaces of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ideas;
    1.Selling prints (framed or matted) of all those amazing photos you take.
    2. Writing - devotional, children's book.
    3. Pies - that went over well when Bethany was planning her trip.
    4. Canning, quilting - all those lost arts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are a wonderful photographer and a fab writer. Books! Children's books.. graphic art is something you are good at too.
    Hey, you could sell pet rocks..Has that been done already? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been hard to decide what to do. So many options with so much hard work. For now I am hoping to catch up with my cousin and do some wheel thrown pottery (haven't tried it in about seven years...), and I'll be working on paring down my spending habits at the grocery store and thrift shop. Also planning a garden if the snow ever melts.

    And, I do like your ideas too, especially the foolproof ones like taking orders for pies. Every once in a while I go back to that old "Bucket List" I made and wonder if there's really something there for me...

    ReplyDelete