Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Letter B

A Booger-Freezing Story from last winter. (My creativity this week has been somewhat questionable, and so you get a re-run from last February.)

Bright, beautiful, and deceptively sunny... I bundle the little ones into their winter clothes and together we make the short trek down the snow covered driveway. The powdered snow squeaks under our feet and my nostrils burn with the cold. The windchill is once again well below zero degrees Fahrenheit, though the actual temperature is about 8ยบ. I gather Mom's newspaper from the box and check for yesterday's mail which was forgotten in the busyness of the day.

The bitter wind stings my cheeks and bites at my nose, but the children barely notice. They are too caught up in the excitement of snowballs and mounds of snow left behind by Dave's snowplow. The bus arrives, gathers the girls into it's shelter, and rumbles off down the road. Andrew and I wave our mittened hands to the driver and head back toward the house. Untouched snow along the driveway and into the yard is left sculpted by the wind. I can just imagine what the frozen wastelands of the tundra and Antarctica must look like.

Inside the house we pull off boots and mittens. My coffee, is finished brewing, an inviting aroma in the air. My Little Guy nibbles on graham crackers and drinks apple juice while I sip hot vanilla coffee. The day has just begun...

 To see the other participants in the new round of 
ABC Wednesday, click here!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots and Brrrrrr. I could feel the cold from your description.
    Carver, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks freezing out there!

    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about your neck of the woods,but here winter has been warm and grey this year. I miss the blue skies and diamond sparkling snow.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winter has been downright balmy some days. It just doesn't feel like winter without snow and freezing temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love the pictures, Martha, and your blog wall paper is so beautiful, and feels so chilly! Perfect for your post on the cold.

    Sending Love,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Booger cold story. Very clever how you incorporated all the B words. Nice pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know about you, but my winter this year has been almost BALMY compared with last year.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is nice to see the snow even though we don't have any in person right now:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not complaining. The bus stop is much more tolerable this year than last. And, winter's not over yet.

    Last year was terribly cold, yet astonishingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A booger freezing storm has got to be the most hilariously graphic way to describe the weather that I have ever heard. I hope you get your creative mojo back soon and have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete