Thursday, January 12, 2012

Grief

Can I say my heart is grieved? I am grieved over the loss of oneness in the church of Christ and the idea that it somehow doesn't matter how we behave because the grace of God covers all. God's grace does cover all, but when did the Bible say it didn't matter how we behave? What happened to "Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ"? Just what kind of conduct is it that makes us worthy? And if it doesn't matter how we behave, then just what is it that differentiates us from the rest of the world?

I've seen some videos lately that leave my soul crying. Love covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8), but does it really say "all" sins? Can a man be a Christian, commit adultery, and immediately afterward feel guilty and hear God say, "I love you"? I was under the impression my sin is what separates me from God. How is it we share testimonies of being "saved" out of alcoholic families and keep a cupboard full of booze? How do we testify of being rescued from anger and yet have a mouth full of perversity?

I know it is Christ who comes into a life and saves, He has done that for me, but He doesn't leave us like he found us, He begins the slow and painful process of conforming us into His image. He calls us to leave the old way of life behind and become something new. I fear there are many today who want what Jesus has to offer in the way of salvation, but who aren't willing to let Him change their hearts and actions.

 So much for keeping the mood light...

3 comments:

  1. Martha, this very thing has been so on my mind, as I see this behavior in "Christians". What are they thinking? What an insult to the price paid for our salvation, to live as if it didn't matter.

    We are told to live "righteous" lives, and I think that just means "right living" and that doesn't include, adultry, bad attitudes, bad language, etc. I struggle too, but it is the desire of my heart to walk worthy. Being in the Word, and obeying it is the key!

    Love you Martha, and your heart for the Lord. I see things on fb from Christians...that really breaks my heart too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep putting this up and then taking it back down again. You must have caught it in between.

    Thank you, Wanda, for your listening ear and understanding heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't take it down! It speaks truth. Good post!

    I struggle everyday to conform to His image...and it is the desire of my heart.

    ReplyDelete