Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Tired

There are days when being a parent is sheer joy and other times when the responsibility of offspring is nothing short of utter exhaustion. Gone are the days of babies and toddlers (yes, they are exhausting too). Now is the time where everything we ever hoped to teach our children is put to the test. Now is the time when bad choices, failures and setbacks cut like a knife. Now is the time when my heart aches to see my children shunned and discouraged. Now is the time when I want more than ever to see them succeed and hurt more than ever when it doesn't appear to be happening.

I tried to explain this to one of my children just the other day, but I know he really has no clue. He has no child of his own and therefore, how could I even hope to make him understand? How could I even begin to help him see that every action of the child, every unkind word or deed perpetrated by him or upon him is felt intensely by his parents. It is a love that even I, a mom, have difficulty comprehending.

God tapped on my shoulder, He whispered in my ear. Not literally, of course, but I felt and heard Him just the same. "Yes, being a parent is painful, but now you know and understand just a little bit better how I hurt for you..." Does God really hurt like this? Does He really understand? Does it make Him tired too?

My son, be wise, and make my heart glad,
That I may answer him who reproaches me.

Proverbs 27:11

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yes...I completely agree. Remember when we thought the diapers and nighttime feedings were so hard? The older teen/young adult years are harder in a different, bigger way. I find myself praying even harder. :)

    I'm off to search for your ABC's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...found it first try! That was so fun! I especially laughed at D for dandelion...in January '07! I'm quite certain you don't have any this year! ha~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I soooo agree!! The toddler years are nothing compared to watching them grow and make bigger mistakes and sometimes bad choices. I find myself praying a lot:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, when you come back, maybe we can be prayer partners.

    Betsy, it was a fun challenge. For those curious, go here http://justseven.blogspot.com/search?q=abc

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so true. Sometimes when I am just rooting for one of the older ones to wise up and make good choices, I get a glimpse of how it must be for God. He has given us everything that pertains to life and Godliness (2 Pet., 1, 3) Yet, we are so stubborn and slow to hear. Having older children just plains hurts my soul sometimes....

    ReplyDelete